"Use-it-until-its-empty" soap challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Starting my tub about this time last year. It comes up in rotation about twice a week and I shave my head as well so that really put a dent in its longevity as well.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Haha naa, why waste extra soap. I noticed my Proraso omega uses extra soap, its unnecessary waste. It was a little of a deal breaker because I do like the brush. I could use it with my cheaper stuff =P

danbuter, Rusty blade and GatorJoe like this.
  3. Omelmad

Hahaha good one

Rusty blade likes this.
  4. Omelmad

I have thought about using a soap until it's empty. But I keep thinking, why? Hahaha i like the variety. But then again I have been reaching for my MdC lately so I don't have to fiddle with water/soap ratio of different soaps.

Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I finished off my puck of TSD soap a couple days ago. I've been working on a puck of Haslinger since then. I might stick with it for a while but not sure if I'll stick with it until it's gone. It's hot here and I feel the need for some menthol. :)

6. GregShaves

GregShaves Member

I am in as well! I will make it easy on myself to start, as I have a tin of The Blades Grimm that probably has a week of daily shaves left in it, lol. Then I will tackle maybe a full(er) tub of soap.

But I will tell you this.. I will only do this with soaps, and I reserve the right to switch up my aftershaves everyday lol!

Rusty blade, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

This morning I emptied the last little bit of Proraso white pre-shave cream from a jar I started a few weeks ago. While not a soap or cream...it does fit the spirit of "use it until its empty" challenge!

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I emptied a container of TFS Linea Tradizionale Barba Gialla soap this morning. Took me much longer than I initially estimated ;)

Rusty blade and danbuter like this.
  9. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

i've been working on using-up lots of samples. i have about one shave left of some TSD barbershop.

then, it's on to partial sticks of arko and palmolive ... after a couple days of reset with some tabac, of course

Rusty blade and danbuter like this.
  10. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I am in with three and I am cheating I guess by rotating. Hey are a puck of Sterling ??, love the stuff. A butch of scraps of two differently Dr Harris and some Cade, thing I am about past the Cade. And a cut up stick of Speick. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rusty blade, danbuter and PLAla like this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I finally polished off a tub of TOBS grapefruit! Next is the Proraso green!

Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Rusty blade

I have one shave left in my container of Haslinger Schafmilch...just a small blob of creamy lather left. I am pretty sure I can stretch this into a shave. I love this soap...it has to be one of my favourites! Fortunately, I have another puck of Haslinger Schafmilch ready to fill the container.

Sevenbark, Jim99, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  13. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I have Arko on high rotataion (using it 4 or 5 times per week). It works great, but I really don't care for the smell. Once it's gone, I won't be buying any more.

I no longer use only one soap every single day. I didn't like doing it the first time I tried this method (with a Williams puck, which I liked a lot). I have too many other options I like.

I also ended up putting a puck of Van der Hagen Luxury in my shower to use as a bath soap. I may have had a dud, but every time I used it for shaving, the bristles on my brush clumped together really badly. This is the only soap that ever did that to me.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Rusty blade and PLAla like this.
  14. Rusty blade

Now... I am turning my attention back to Cella. I started to focus on this some time ago, but got distracted by my Haslinger Schafmilch. I try to use my "focus soap" every second day and use a variety of other soaps on alternating days.

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My tub of Stirling glacial lemon chill is still going strong after 2 1/2 months. I've used nothing but this one since June.

Rusty blade likes this.
  16. Jay S

Jay S Active Member

I dove into this craziness just over a year ago. I got a jar of Proraso white with my Maggard starter kit. Shortly after that I picked up one of their sample soap packs and a crock of MWF. I only shave twice a week, at most, with 2-3 passes. Loading my brush for no more than 10 seconds gives me more than enough soapy lather than I can possibly use.

I've used the MWF for about 75% of my shaves. The puck shows little evidence of use. The Proraso has started to show a bit of a well in the jar. I've nearly finished with the Orange Menthol sample (the only one I've tried) by adding it for scent once in a while.

At this rate, I'll be finishing my original 2 soap purchases some time in the next 5 years or so. I've also not bought any blades since my initial starter pack and receiving a wonderful PIF of Feathers. I've just about emptied my initial bottle of Nivea after shave balm. Along the way I picked up a pair of Gillette Slims as my regular users and a wonderfully soft brush from Larry at Whipped Dog.

One of the main reasons I wanted to try DE shaving was to get around the disposable culture of my shaving routine...saving a good bit of cash along the way has been a nice bonus. For me, DE shaving isn't a hobby, just a routine necessity of maintaining my personal appearance. I think I'm set on supplies for a good, long while. :-} Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Jay

Rusty blade and Jim99 like this.
  17. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Used up a tube of Palmolive menthol cream and I'll definitely be getting more of it. This was the second tube I've gone through and the cooling is great. Scent is not that great but the performance makes up for it. Now, back to working on a huge tub of Catie's Bubbles Glace Herbe. I'm pretty sure it'll cool off before I'm done with the tub so I might have some left for next summer.

PLAla and clint64 like this.
  18. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello folks, I just finished a tub of Maggards artisan London Barbershop soft shaving soap. I don't know what will be next. I like a little variety, so I'm not sure. I think my total stash is perhaps 20 or so soaps/creams. I just let my curiosity get the best of me, and I ordered some Caties Bubles Spanish Holiday, and several RazoRock soaps. One of which is the infamous XXX! I can hardly wait!

Rusty blade and macaronus like this.
  19. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

i've finished up several samples over the past handful of months.

for my most recent shave, i pulled out the proraso green tub before resetting for my next use-it-until-it's-empty

oh, how i've missed you proraso green ... such good, good stuff !!!

Rusty blade likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

How did you like the London Barby, Alan? That's on my list to consider.