"Use-it-until-its-empty" soap challenge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So I finished another tub of Barrister & Mann this year. That means I finished two soaps. Unfortunately, my current inventory has grown to 18 soaps. I am rotating through all my soaps this month, and next month will either focus on one soap only, or do the every other shave thing again. I got pretty tired of the scent of the last soap I finished off, but still want to use some of these up.

Linuxguile, Rusty blade and PLAla like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm two months into a puck of Stirling bay rum and the end is nowhere in sight. I'm figuring that this will go through February 2017. It's a great soap and I love the scent.

Having so many great soaps in inventory, I'm tempted to rotate them. I'll try to restrain myself!

3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Nope - not for me. I have about two dozens soaps with more on order. I enjoy the "what do I feel like today" ritual. Not sure one can have too many soaps.

Demidog and Jim99 like this.
  4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've been trying to do this but it seems that almost every soap I use causes some kind of reaction. At first I thought it was my technique, but the fragrance oils are playing a larger role than I thought. I'm about 50% of the way through a tin that is causing a bit of a reaction but I'm gonna try to finish it off and possibly trade away my other soaps. It was actually nice to see the bottom of the tin instead of constantly staring at a shelf full of new soaps. Once this soap is done, I'll finally have a legitimate reason to feed the soap addiction without feeling guilty.

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Have you tried some of the unscented soaps? Several makers produce an unscented version.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Yup...sounds like you might have a case of soap sensitivity...often caused by fragrances or EOs in soaps. Might have to explore some of the unscented versions. I have a couple of soaps that I really like but I can't use them more than 2 days in a row because I can feel my skin starting to react.

Demidog likes this.
  7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The idea of this thread is why I resorted to frankensoap; I do not have the patience required to finish a puck/stick/tube/tub.

I enjoy the scents and qualities of each individual product, but realized I have way too many of each soap.

Has anyone made a frankencream??? Perhaps I will try to make a frankencream; I have an equal amount of creams as soap and am aware that creams have a limited shelf life.

Demidog likes this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I would think if you combined similar scents the results would be pretty good. For example: take all the sandalwood scented soaps and put them together.

Demidog likes this.
  9. Demidog

I haven't tried any unscented soaps because I'm too stubborn to give up my scented ones, and it also took me a long time to realize that the fragrance oils were causing problems. I'm thinking of trying some factory soaps and other fragrances before I cut out the scented soaps altogether. I've never had any issues with mass produced scented products, so I'm hoping that the factory stuff will work.
    I was gonna do the same thing and only use certain soaps once every few days, but once I start working on a puck, I like to finish it off. It would be a shame if I had to give up on scented soaps because they are my primary addiction and the main reason that I got so hooked on shaving.

Jim99 likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Have you used, or had trouble with vegan soaps? I ask because if mass produced scents don't bother you, and these artisan soaps are eating you up, have you ruled out lanolin?

MarshalArtist, Demidog and Jim99 like this.
  11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

OMG, to use just one soap until it's empty..........how can I do that?

Demidog, PickledNorthern and Jim99 like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have a "nowhere in sight ending"...my WSP Sandalwood soap. Like you, I see a February 2017 ending for my TSD Lanolin/Russian Leather, but I'll probably still have some Sandalwood to go by then.

Demidog and Jim99 like this.
  13. Demidog

I almost exclusively use vegan soaps. The only product in my current lineup that has lanolin is TSD pre-shave balm, but it doesn't seem to cause irritation on its own. While most scented factory products that I've used have worked fine, there are still some that caused a lot of burning. I'm planning on trying Proraso and maybe TOBS, so hopefully they work out. Meanwhile I'm gonna keep hunting for artisan fragrances that work because I love their soaps.

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Why can't they make a bacon soap?

Jim99 and PLAla like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Good question! There are several soap makers here on TSD. Perhaps one of them will tackle that!

16. Demidog

Food scented soaps are risky business. I have a few that I've been tempted to taste but then I remind myself that would be incredibly stupid.

17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of vodka that is bacon flavor - so again why not shaving soap. Just the scent not the taste.

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpeg

Linuxguile, Drygulch, Demidog and 3 others like this.
  19. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

I pick a main soap or cream each month and use others randomly for variety. My main gets 20-25 uses.

Demidog and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

She also makes a pot soap doesn't she? To give you the munchies for the bacon soap?

Drygulch and Demidog like this.