Using a Straight Razor has Become Routine

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Chuck Naill, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I am now confident that I can shave with a SR and get the quality result I prefer. Getting to this point has been fun, but not easy. God love them, but most of the advice comes from men who like to hone on stones and not from those who hone to shave, although I realize men who hone shave. Therefore, the process is more difficult than necessary. However, setting the bevel and get to the sharpness sought for is only a part of using a straight.

Using a straight razor is like learning to use a fountain pen, finger dexterity is essential and this occurs gradually as muscle memory builds. This is what for me allows me to get a good shave from all razors in my collection.

Regarding sharpening steel, what was transformational for me was returning to diamond pasted balsa a few months back and achieving near shavette sharp (compared to my Feather SS).

Regarding dexterity, I go slow and with the same process each shave. I do the initial knockdown then proceed to the subsequent passes with the idea of reduction each time and only get into the details on the third pass. I think this has allowed me to get the results I want. I don't do against the grain on my cheeks until after two WTG passes except the ATG on my lower lip where I use both hands. I do an ATG on my chin using the same two hand hold and go slow ever watching the angle. Three WTG passes on the area below the nose achieves the results I want.

I think the value of public discussion works best when it offers a balance of information that a new SR user needs to arrive to a place where using a SR is routine because I believe there a more than one way to skin a cat.:chores016:

2. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Practice makes perfect. That's an old adage, but as you state, practice is different with every face. You've discovered that everyone has to develop their own routine. Videos and written advise are only a starting point. You have to find what's right for you.

Chuck Naill, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Self satisfaction is great. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Chuck Naill and brit like this.