Using Shave Sticks

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Smedley, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Smedley

Smedley New Member

How the heck do you use these with maximal efficiency? The way I worked out was to get a layer of white soap on my skin, then build the lather with my fingers.

Can you build lather with the stick alone? Any advice would be welcome.

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

David, I think the trick to shave sticks is to rub the stick on your prepped face (after it's wet and warm) and then use the brush to build lather on your skin like you would off of a soap puck.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

Soak face in hot water.

Wet stick in hot water.

Rub stick on your face (circular motion).

Rub brush on face like normal.

Enjoy shave :D

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

That's the way I use them.

5. Smedley

Smedley New Member

How much stick do you gents lay down before beginning the lathering process?

6. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I use 3 scores on each cheek....and one on each side of my neck.

Then a scrubby brush to build up the lather

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I rub the stick on my wet face for 25 seconds, then I use my brush to scrub against the stick a little, then I build up my lather.

8. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I rub the brush on the stick a bit then rub the stick on my face then rub the brush on my face, works out great.

9. Edcculus

Edcculus Resident Bay Rummy

I rub it on...until I think there is enough. I guess 25 sec seems fine.

I find its easier to start the lather with a somewhat dry brush. A few shakes so the brush is not dripping. Once you've rubbed it around on the face a little, I drip water into the breach to keep water from flying all over the place.

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

that's exactly the way I also do it :)

11. herzi

herzi Active Member

Is there any difference in using a glycerin based stick like QED or MB and other sticks like Tabac, Palmolive or Speick?
    Glycerin soaps need more water. Right? So where is the water? In the brush?

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I have yet to try a glycerin-based shaving stick, but my guess is you leave the brush a tad wetter than with triple-milled or hard sticks.

13. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I think you're right, the glycerin soaps require more water. I make a mess no matter what I do, so its hard to say for sure. I tend to prefer the "other" tallow sticks to the glycerin, but get along very well with both.

I think the other gents did a good job, but here's something I didn't see mentioned yet. I sometimes do this:

1) rub stick all over beard - almost as a preshave treatment
    2) grab a cream and lather it on top

----> Do this with a QED stick + JM Fraser and the razor'll be slip-slidin' away :D

14. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Thanks all. I was surprised by the consistency of the stick (don't know why I was expecting a softer consistency, but I was). I will use these suggestions in future.

For the foil, do you replace it back over the end of the stick, or just rip it off and throw it away? Do you need it folded over at all times to preserve the stick?

No can do, but I will struggle along with my Speick and Erasmic sticks in this worthwhile experiment. :D

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I have kept the foil for some, but not others.....depending on how well they have torn off. (my palmolive stick foil tore into shreds, as did the Speick, whereas the Erasmic stayed nice) Doesn't seem to affect the consistency or efficacy of it.

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

No prob - superlather those puppies too. Rub your face with the stick, then hit it with cream, then lather.

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

I was having trouble with my Erasmic sticks, I bought 2 new ones that were fine but I also had an old one that seemed very hard, not sure how old it was as I got it in a trade.

I decided I don't like sticks too much, so I took a fine cheese grater and grated the old stick along with one of the new ones and then took the fine shavings and pressed then into a Ziplock 1 cup plastic bowl, it worked really well and the soap packed down easily and formed perfectly to the inside of the bowl. Now it lathers great.

I still have one stick left for travel purposes. ;)

18. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I found that my Erasmic shave stick exactly fits in a tall plastic prescription pill bottle from the drugstore.

Here's my shave stick technique, though the comments above cover it pretty well:
    I use a variety of shave sticks --- some glycerin (Mama Bear, QED, Honeybee Spa) and some not (Erasmic, Valobra, D.R. Harris, Taylor of Old Bond Street). The D.R. Harris shave stick gives particularly good lather, FWIW.

19. sysiphus

sysiphus Member

Remember that a glycerine shave stick will melt like a popsicle under warm water! I just rub the homemade MB stick over my wet face (against the grain) a couple of times and then go at it with a damp brush. Take the brush tips to the water as mant times as you need to build the proper lather. You will get more than enough for four passes, and probably rinse that much again from the brush when done.

20. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I just got a batch of new shave sticks from QED, who was the first vendor I know who really promoted them. One that has a surprisingly nice fragrance is anise & lavender. Of course, Special 218 is in a class of its own.