Using two razors

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by OldSaw, Jul 19, 2007.

1. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Anyone ever use two different razors for the same shave? I usually dial my adjustable down for each pass, usually something like 9-3-1.

Well I got thinking, 1 on my 1962 slim is a lot like my 1948 SS. So instead of doing the ATG pass on 1, I used the SS with a new blade. I just thought I would try this for a week or so. It is kind of nice doing the final pass with a blade that hasn't chopped down a forest.

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I can't remember ever using two double edged razors in the same shave, but when I first started str8 shaving I would finish with a DE.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Interesting.

I have used two razors before, but I don't very often. When I first got my slant I would sometimes use it with the HD.

1) Mow-down with the slant
    2) Clean up with the HD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. paydepst

paydepst Member

Yes I have on occasion but only when I'm feeling feisty! :whacky011

Actually I did used to do it some when I was learning the peculiarities of a new razor and would do the ATGs with a familiar one.

5. herzi

herzi Active Member

When using a straight I often use another razor the last pass.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Never.
    Im too lazy and already have enuff to clean up.
    ::bath

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Every now an then I use a DE to touch up after using a straight.

Raf

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I usually touch my neck up with a DE after using the straight. The hair on my neck grows in a sideways direction from left to right. To get an ATG pass with a straight when I finish up is close to impossible.

9. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

2 razors.

I will use a DE for the final clean up when using a Str8 razor so thats 2 razors.
    In the beginning of my wetshave career :rofl I would take 2 razors. with different brands of blades for example a Feather to mow down and a Derby to touch up a bit with less irritation. etc.etc.

a Str8 and a DE is a very acceptable combo to me and renders BBB results.
    Beyond Baby Butt .

10. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I've experimented with other two razors setups before as well. I used to use a Feather in my Merkur HD and a Derby in the Merkur Long Handle and got great results. As I got better with the HD, especially after starting in on Method stuff, I moved away from the two razor thing.

The DE finish after the straight is a necessity because I need the cutting angle for that last past I can't get with the straight. Definatately yields the BBS every time.

Interestingly enough, the early techniques CAR used for Method Shaving 5 or 6 years ago, called for using the DE for the first passes and a final finishing pass with the Sensor razor.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Since I'm learning str8. I use a two razor set up. I might switch to a less aggressive DE razor/blade if I blow the first pass on a DE. And finally, I use a DE with a day 4 blade (kinder) to BBS the armpits and use a different DE for my face shave.

12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used to use 2 razors at the beginning of my straight shaving career, and I'd do the last pass with a DE. Now, it's 1 razor only for each shave.

13. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

im not Worthy... :whacky084

14. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Since I started this last week I still had the same blade in the SS yesterday and the result was fantastic. I have been using the SS for about a week now as a finishing tool and it has been working great. The blade really stays sharp since it is only used for the final approach, although yesterday I used it for XTG and ATG figuring I would change the blade whether it needed it or not.

I am not a blade miser. In fact I used to change blades almost daily before I started corking them. Now it is just one less thing to do, (removing blade from wrapper, loading, disposing etc.). So using the SS for finishing only has really added some convenience that I had not considered.

For those that really enjoy getting as many miles as possible out of a 10 cent blade, I would recommend the two razor approach.