Using Used Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rmcintyre84, Aug 27, 2021.

1. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Will you all use a used vintage soap? I picked up a used Old Spice soap in the mug. It's been used enough that the ship imprint is missing, but not much more. Would you use it? Maybe shave off a quarter inch all the way around? Thanks.

brit, Frijolero, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I would and I have. What i have done was essentially wash my hands with it by rubbing the top, sides and bottom until the discoloring has worn off ( if there is any ) and i figured soap is soap in regards to germs… then i set it on a paper towel to dry off. I wash the mug like I would any other mug with dish soap. Finally assemble it together and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pietronni, danbuter, gorgo2 and 8 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would probably just hydrate it and use it honestly.

brit, Frijolero, Ksblazer and 4 others like this.
  4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I've used "used" soap before, and would again. If it's a puck, I stand it up on its side, get out one of my sharp butcher knives and thinly shave off the top, bottom and side layers. If it is a soft soap, I'll use a spoon to take off a thin layer. A lot of the soaps have germ killing ingredients, but some don't. Honestly I would be more worried about some weird deadly fungus and mold, than anything else.

Ron R, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  5. rmcintyre84

Thanks. I hadn't thought about fungus and mold. ;)

6. rmcintyre84

The price was just too good to pass up. $12.

brit, Frijolero, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I read somewhere, and can't find it now, that soap is self-sterilizing. I imagine this would be particularly true of lye (real) soap.

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm with @PanChango ..... get it wet and use it.

On the average there's far worse things in your fridge and around your kitchen sink.

By the way ..... congrats on the fine soap at a great price ...... now enjoy it.

:eatdrink047:

brit, Frijolero, PanChango and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I ALWAYS make a few palm-lathers with a new (used) soap. Then...I use it as normal.

Steve56, brit, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

A quarter inch is a TON. Maybe use a vegetable peeler around the perimeter to remove a couple thousands of an inch. Or just do a couple of practice lathers.
    Considering that CDC's #1 recommendation for avoiding disease is to wash your hands with soap, I think used soap is way down the list of things to worry about.

Dave in KY, brit, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  11. rmcintyre84

I did even better about a year ago. I got a mug with untouched soap, still in the box, for $4.

12. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it, unless the soap had previously been used by a beautiful woman.

Then I would apply it everywhere.

brit, Frijolero, Lancre and 1 other person like this.
  13. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I would as long as it wasn’t a used shaving stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. brit

brit in a box

bought some vintage williams tonsorial pucks a while back.light scrub with a nail brush to knock the dust off them.good as new..;)

15. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

No, I would not buy used soap.

16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Ive used lightly used soaps , creams and Ive used heavily used soaps and creams. Ive never had any issues. To each their own

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

No need. I'm not sure I can use up all the brand spankin' new soaps I have. ;)

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've participated in a few pass around boxes and have never had an issue.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Used soap is fine, I just wash it first with soap and water. Just like the dishes and silverware at the restaurant that you eat at.

Using a used soap is not an issue of germs or hygiene, it’s a matter of ‘heebie jeebies’. You can kill germs, you can’t kill the heebie jeebies.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I can understand and respect that ....... it makes me giggle and laugh, but I can understand and respect that.

:eatdrink047:

Steve56 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.