Using vintage blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ceferguson, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

image.jpg i bought a box of vintage Sputnik blades for a good price off of etsy and a pack of swedish matador blades just for fun.
    Today I tried a vintage Sputnik it was like the new sputniks for one pass then began to pull very badly so I just decided to swap it out. When I opened the razor the blade had broken. It was only one time so it's not a pattern but I never had a blade break in a razor. Maybe because I used it in an aggressive razor att h1 or maybe because it was old? No rust on the blade, anyone else have experience with vintage blades?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with vintage soviet blades, but I do have experience with other soviet era equipment. About all I can say is that I'm not surprised and that I'm glad you didn't end up slicing yourself really bad with it! The Soviets cared more about quantity over quality, and I'd almost bet that blade would've done that even if it had been used when it was made. Their mechanical equipment was way over-engineered to keep it from breaking, but something as simple and fragile as a blade would never stand a chance!

NCoxSTL, Ceferguson and ObiDon like this.
  3. Ceferguson

Yes I was very lucky it did not cut me and I won't use them again because of that. What about the swedish Matadors who made them and do you think they will be more durable.

4. Mr. Shaverman

I think you should take your chance with the Matadors. If they break you can blame @Omelmad

IDuck and Dapper-in-a-can-man like this.
  5. Ceferguson

Lol I will

Do you know where they are made I only bought them because they had a matador on them lol?

6. Mr. Shaverman

Nope, no idea. Someone will though.

7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Sorry in advance =P

Mr. Shaverman and trey06dmd like this.
  8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have a full 20 pack of Vintage Marlins. I broke one open and put one Ina and...... Decimated my face.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cheap, brittle steel.

10. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Good shaves can be had with vintage blades. It does take an investment of time and patience to find the right ones that work for you in the razor you want them to work in.

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

What?!?! The Soviets had poor engineering?!?! Shocked I am, sir, shocked! Comrade Lenin would be most upset with you. (Says the guy toying with shaving with two poorly engineered Russian razors in May) I have read several reviews of people trying vintage blades and it does seem once you go back far enough they turn very brittle and are quite a problem. I've never tried one and probably never will, but that's just me.

jakie55 and crackstar like this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Soviet-era blades were actually pretty good from what I can remember.

NCoxSTL likes this.