Using your Valet Autostrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rodd, Jan 15, 2009.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have gotten a good number of Autostrops in razor lots, and actually threw most of them away unfortunately. Besides NOS blades I was not aware of any way to make use of them. They are really cool razors, but they don't have much collectible value, and I couldn't use them, so away they went. A little while ago Dave told me that he had gotten some Feather single edge blades from our Paul. He said that they had cutouts so that you could use them in any Valet razor. I promptly ordered 10.

I have been sitting on these blades for a while now, afraid to give them a chance, but I finally cleaned up a razor and gave one a shot. I wanted to offer a pictorial so that you can see how it works out. There are other types of Valets also, but this is the only one I had on hand still. Dave says they all work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you Dave, I promise not to throw any more away. ;)

2. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

Thanks for the info and pics. Let us know how it performs.

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Oh, I have to get me some SE blades...

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Pretty well actually. I started off like a typical DE user and attempted my usual angles, ended up with a decent nic, but once I remembered what I was using and put it flat to my face like a standard single edge, everything was smooth sailing. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

5. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

Very nice. Thanks.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So you do not have to alter the blades to fit.. they are made for the valet?

Fuzzy

7. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Cool, I just got a bunch of cased Valet's. Where did you get the blades? Who's our Paul, Pauldog?

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

+1

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Suweett! I have passed on so many nice looking Valets.

10. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Yeah, sorry, Pauldog. Here is the thread where he has them for sale. They aren't cheap, but it is so worth it to be able to use these razors.

11. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Have you got complete ones with strop too?

12. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

No. The few I have are in a very nice Bakelite cases with a matching blade holder, no strops though? I was thinking of the strops when I got them a few weeks ago and the case is compact enough that I can't imagine where a strop would go inside one.

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

They fold up and go under the razor, in the lid, or in a separate box. I think even NOS Valet strops are probably beyond using at this age. They did made a non-leather strop at one point. I'm not sure if it's synthetic or not. I might take one for a spin, but I think I'd get a new one made (right width and thickness) if I were going to use it on a regular basis. Or just get lots of Feather SE blades. :D

I got some Feather blades from Paul too and have been meaning to try them out in my various models. Way back I did try a NOS Valet blade, the cleanest I could find. I wasn't very impressed with the shave, but back then my experience was limited.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Dave has a video out there of him stropping his. He has some tips on making the strops usable again.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

well this was something cool to come home to :)