Valet Auto Strop razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by crackstar, Dec 30, 2008.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I cannot begin to say how careful you must be when using a razor like this, because it's very aggressive, but if you have a light hand, you could get a super-nice and close shave without any irritations, or cuts. The blade exposure is very pronounced, which would make this razor very good for a heavy beard like mine, and a good blade to use is a Gillette Stainless, or a Dorco, which will reduce the aggressiveness a little. Definitely a razor a beginner should not attempt to use. These razors are older than I am! (and that's old!) :happy102

2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

A new Favorite

The Valet razor is a beautiful razor. I had gotten one, but it was broken. My current gold/brass one I picked up for $5 at a local antique store. My replacement razor requires blades with the VALET cutout, but the new Feather SE blades fit perfect.

The razor is nice and heavy making it easy to handle. The balance for me is really good, it isn't top heavy or anything. It is pretty much pure blade, so there is TONS of exposure. I have had instances when first getting used to, where I used wrong angles, and it didn't feel to nice:(. It is a very easy razor to use. Once you learn to let the razor do all the work, your laughing! The price on these are great! They are easily found for cheap prices (but there are also the few that sell them at a steep price).

All in all, this will be one of my go to razors once my cases of feather SE blades come in. I love the razor and encourage all to try one!:D

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I realize this thread is from the stone age, but folks need to know that these things are single edge razors, and cannot use double edge blades.

4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

True, but there are a few of us that love em.
    Matter of fact we there is even a forum deducated to only single edges.....

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I love 'em too.

I don't post much, but I'm a TOSTer.

6. ordinaryshaver

There is actually quite a good thread going on about the Valet Auto Strop over there right now.

TobyC likes this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

In my defense, after having a herniated and slipped disc in my back, I have to triple check that I even spelled words correctly from the pain meds.
    I wouldn't try to hyperlink without having it proofread first.

TobyC likes this.