Van Der Hagen BOAR - some things that should not have been

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by EnglishChannel, Jun 13, 2017.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

The world has changed. I feel it in the water.
    In years past, many have started their wet shaving journey with the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set.
    The set with soap, bowl, and the lowly VDH Boar brush. I recently took this kit on a long journey away from home. VanDerHagenBrush.jpg
    Many use the brush without incident, but many have had brushes that shed too much. I have such a brush.
    In my attempt to resolve the problem, I aggressively combed the knot and pulled at the loose bristles.

To my horror, I pulled a chunk of bristles out of the middle of the knot.... but the rest of the knot remained.
    VDHbrushHole.jpg

This brush now has a hole in the middle - BUT - it is excellent at building a great lather on my face!
    I've been using it like this for several months and it continues to perform and remain intact. To my surprise, this brush now easily out-performs my other boar brushes.

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost.
    It is a fluke, but I wonder if I have stumbled upon a long lost design for shaving brushes.

jeraldgordon, Jim99, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OUCH! If you need a new brush, I know a guy.

Redfisher, MR41, RaZorBurn123 and 8 others like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I started with one of those sets, I've since moved on but at the time every thing worked pretty well. Nowadays the bowl works fine for salsa or whatnot.

MR41 and EnglishChannel like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I had a cheap badger from Amazon. I tossed it after a couple decent boar brushes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and EnglishChannel like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

My VDH board served well until I got a couple Omega boars. Then a synthetic, and a badger. When I brought it out for old times sake it shed a dozen or more bristles. It was a fine introduction to lather making. I passed it to a neighbor rather than reknotting it. The blue & green bowl is still serving me well.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

SHAVEWIZARD420, Enrico, MR41 and 4 others like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Mine did the exact same thing after I got my synthetic.

The VdH Boar is a moody bitch that only wants an exclusive relationship. The minute you spend any real time with another brush, she goes all to pieces.

(I assume that the glue holding the knot together doesn't take well to drying out after having been wet for any length of time. Personally, I don't have the patience to see if one can somehow rehydrate the knot to stop the shedding.)

7. EnglishChannel

I have a few "better" brushes- boar,badger & synthetic. But I am really enjoying this one for face lathering with soap.

While I think the QC on these may have been lacking, I have had 3 of them that I brought in the CVS kits on clearance 8 years ago.

Though they all have shed some bristle, this is the only one that lost a major chunk.

Funny thing, this is the ugliest brush I own, but it works great. Better than my others without the hole.

Thanks for your comments.
    It's all good!

jeraldgordon, RyX and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Not good. With the prices and quality of a lot of boar brushes available, VDH needs to step up.

lightcs1776 and EnglishChannel like this.
  9. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I gave my luxury boar brush and apothecary bowl set to a friend over the weekend along with a long-handle Van Der Weishi, as I now have two Vie-Long horse hair brushes and an Old Spice shaving mug. The boar is a finicky thing, and depending on the manufacturer will be more prone to shedding than something put together by a more reputable company. The only really good things about VDH are their soaps/creams and their re-branded razors. Everything else is a crap shoot, I've found.

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think most horse hair brushes are knotted similarly-around the rim .

11. John Ruschmeyer

A bit of a follow-on to my older post...

A few weeks ago, I was reading something about brushes drying out and the bristles becoming brittle. Out of curiosity, I decided to try something I read and gave my old VdH Boar a good, long soak in water with a bit of glycerine. The result was nothing short of amazing as the brush all but stopped shedding. Since then, I've made it a point to give the brush a good soaking before using it, particularly if I haven't used it in a bit.

Night and day difference...

Jim99, EnglishChannel, RyX and 3 others like this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I had gotten lucky with my VDH boar brush. I must have used it 150-200 times over the last few years and it’s still in great shape. Plenty of backbone and hasn’t lost a hair in over two years. It’s a lather machine!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    jeraldgordon, EnglishChannel and MR41 like this.
  13. EnglishChannel

Thanks for sharing that tip. I'll keep that in mind when I bring one of my neglected boar brushes back into service.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

John, how long do you let the brush soak?

I shave in the morning and start soaking my boar brushes before I get in the shower, so they get a 10 minute soak.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

Except for a rehab soak, probably not even that long. I suspect that's why you've had such good luck with your VdH.

To be honest, before all this, I was more of a "hold it under the faucet" kind of guy.

EnglishChannel and Jim99 like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've had two non-vintage Burma Shave Boar brushes do that too. It's a shame, because they lathered and felt great, up until they fell apart.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

With out a doubt boars are my favorite brushes to shave with.

Jim99 and PickledNorthern like this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You’ve sure shown it with some of them that you’ve built.

Jim99 likes this.