Van Der Williams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Cool Breeze, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

I keep hearing about this Frankensoap, Vanderwilliams. I hear how you grate both soaps, mash them together and have the best of both worlds. I like my VDH as is but it started me thinking. I conducted an expirament yesterday and the results were very nice.
    Instead of grating both pucks, I grated the Williams. I then MELTED the VDH and stired in the grated Williams with a coffee stir. The result was a nice solid puck. It had a "robins egg" effect with the speckles of Williams evenly mixed throughout. Once cooled, it even looked nice. It looked like it was made that way. I popped it out of the Ziplock bowl and put it in a baggy. I dont mix my soaps but I had to try this.
    When reading about grating and smashing down the 2 soaps, I thought "there has to be a better way." Anyway, if you are one of the shavers who likes both soaps together, this turns out very nice.

Omelmad and Badger-Face like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thats just how I make my Van der Williams soap also(grate the Williams and mix into the melted VDH), the only difference is I leave mine in the ZipLoc bowl,as they make fantastic storage bowls....:) When I mixed Williams and Arko I had to grate both soaps, dry mix them in a mixing bowl and then compress them together in a ZipLoc bowl( I use a little water or even AS to help them compress together)....:)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I do the same thing, only without the Williams ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

And here I thought I perfected the wheel.

5. swarden43

Ecclesiastes 1:9
    That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun. :D

BamaT, Bama Samurai and Badger-Face like this.
  6. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

How's the smell? :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

Did it lather and cushion any better then they do on there own? Or have you even shaved with it yet? And yes how was the smell? What do you think about adding glycerin to it as well? Just curious. I have a puck of each in the cabinet. I might give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

8. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I did not go to the trouble of grating and melting. I ended up cutting one Williams puck and one VDH Deluxe puck in half. Then, I placed one half of the William puck and one half of the VDH puck side by side in the ziploc container. No muss, no fuss and all the benefits of both soaps.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. swarden43

Williams has benefits? :p

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Skeet shooting....

BamaT, Bama Samurai, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

One member here had the perfect way to blend the soaps. Simply cut half a puck of each soap and put them in a mug together. Very simple and foolproof and works as well as other methods.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's how I made mine, too. Now, however, I don't mix. It was a fun experiment, but I like each as is.

13. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

So what you make is Van Der Hagen Der Hagen? Ingenious!

BamaT and swarden43 like this.
  14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I'm seriously sitting here horrified thinking about the smell :eek: Imagine VDH Luxury & Williams Mug mixed. Fruity citronella :confused:

Badger-Face likes this.
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

But honestly, if you ever get the chance to own some Vintage Williams, do so. It's some of the best stuff ever.

16. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Whats Wrong with Williams ?

17. swarden43

Sorry so late getting back to this...

"What's wrong with Williams?"

Since you asked me, these are MY answers and may not apply to everyone.

1 - Difficult to lather
    B - Sometimes you get a good lather, sometimes you don't, always a guessing game
    Next - Lather dries out quickly, disappears on the face
    Fourth - Smells like mosquito repellant

The only two things it has going for it, in my opinion, is that it is readily available locally, and it is dirt cheap - $1.09 at ShopRite.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I'm still curious about the smell..... :confused:

19. swarden43

Swing by Lowes or Home Depot, go to the outdoor patio section and look for citronella candles, the kind to keep skeeters away - that's actually Williams ;)

BamaT and jeraldgordon like this.
  20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I have a puck of Williams. I'm talking about the Franken Van Der Williams.

BamaT likes this.