VDH Boar brush question

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by 1969Fatboy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Alright guys.....I decided to pick one of these up for some reason. I soaked it in shampoo and conditioner and splayed it out and recently started actually using it. I realize its never going to compare with by badger brushes but I still like the scritchy feel it gives. I am also aware that I wont be able to load it full enough for 3-4 passes(face lathering). My question is ......look at the pics and see how the bristles are swirly? Do they ever relax and get straight? No big deal but I do want to be able to use a $5 brush so I dont mi inform the newbs when they question it.
    DSC00913.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've used mine about the equivelent of 2 months and it is a little better, but not totally straight. I suspect the knot will fall apart before it fully straightens out.

3. I have only used this one twice with Williams soap and it appears to be perfectly fine.... no swirly hairs here.

Attached Files:

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Hey Shawn I can not get a picture of mine but it has some weird looking pattern in the center... Not a swirl but not straight. I have used it a lot before I got my Vintage Ever ready badger that I mostly use now. So it may just be the way it is.

Fuzzy

5. mmack66

mmack66 Member

My Burma Shave boar brush is swirled like this. It doesn't seem to affect its performance. I can get enough soap in mine for 3-4 passes of face lathering.

6. JimR

JimR Active Member

It looks a bit like a 95 cent boar brush I picked up at the "100 yen store." It fell apart the second time I used it...

7. robxcarlson

robxcarlson New Member

I used one for six months and the hairs never got "swirly"... but a big chunk of the knot finally fell out when I quit using it.

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

That one looks perfect! Im not too concerned being that it will never be my goto brush and it still works. What i did was soak it in very hot water with conditioner......Splayed upside down on a towel to attempt to straighten the bristles out......Will keep on trying. When its wet....it almost closes up:confused: Like I said no big deal but would hate to advise a newb and they wind up hating wet shaving b/c the brush doesnt work well:( Lathering with this btw is a joke. Face lathering only. the swirly bristles make it tough to lather at all. No huge loss:D

9. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

I have the same brush, and mine looks exactly like the one in the OP. Doesn't seem to affect the performance of the brush. I actually think it looks kinda cool.. all chaotic and stuff. :cool:

I can get about 2 passes per lathering. Usually have to hit the soap again for a 3rd (or more) passes. I don't use it for creams.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Exactly Jason. I got 2 passes with the Pre De Provence and it was done.....no foul since I just reloaded and all went well:) Thanks guys! I am just glad I am not the only one with the funky looking brush! Maybe the cream handled ones are different?

Not to hijack my own thread but who knows of a good cheap boar brush with a bit more....umphh to it? Still cheap though? I kind of like the scritchy feel it has.

11. JimR

JimR Active Member

There is only one name in boars. Omega.

Depending on what you mean by cheap, you can get a good Omega for around $12.

Now, there are some people who like Vulfix boar brushes, or Koh-I-Noor, and some people seem to like Boreal--but I think it's all in the O.

12. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

My VDH brush has stayed straight and has become nice and soft. Loads up easily and has enough for 3 passes with no problem. I use it often and really like it. Go figure.

14. bravefish

bravefish Member

You got that right.

Jim, did you get your check in the mail from Omega?
    I still haven't received mine. I swear, if it doesn't get here by today I'll stop shilling for them, even if they are the best boar you can get.

15. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Used a VDH boar for 7 months and the hairs straighten out. The hairs also soften with increased usage.

Still works well despite slight loosing hairs occassionly.

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

That's a good choice. I have that one with a red handle and it works very well. And the tube it comes in makes it a perfect travel brush.

I'm guessing by the look of your VDH brush that you lather with a swirling motion? If you lather with a back and forth motion, it will prevent such issues from occurring.

17. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've got a VDH brush that I've been using daily for almost 6 months now. It's softened up considerably and works very well. I lather creams in an Old Spice mug and my soaps right on top of the puck in the mug I keep them in. It works like a charm every time. The brush loses a hair every now and then, but that's about it. It's always been straight too. I used to dry it hanging by the handle, but it seems to dry out better if I just stand it upright on the handle.

18. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I think i will just progress to the omega.....progress? well in boar brush that is! I still dont understand the whole twisty thing in the brush but as long as it works....WTH!

19. JimR

JimR Active Member

Sorry, I went to bed. Yep, that's a fine omega--perhaps I should say, there are no BAD Omega brushes. Different sizes, different looks--but no bad ones.
    I prefer the big old professional ones, but my tiny travel brush is also fantastic.

And bravefish, I got my check MONTHS ago! Maybe give them a call.

;)

20. LS48

LS48 New Member

My VDH brush is more like the straighter ones pictured and it got quite a bit softer over the almost 3 months I've used it. I would probably still be using it if it had not lost 2 to 3 hairs practically every day......and it never stopped. Shedding, I think, is the VDH's main shortcoming and I finally gave up on mine and bought an Omega 10049 Professional boar brush, which can usually be had for under $15. This brush is a good bit larger than my VDH and works very well , having lost only 2-3 hairs the first day then none after that. Sometimes I think folks are led to believe boar brushes are inferior, sort of an inexpensive stop on the way to bigger and better things. But they're not, especially well made ones like the Omegas. And I don't mean to turn this into an Omega lovefest but they do have a lot of happy owners.

Cheers, Larry