Vie-Long Brushes: SImilar—TOO Similar?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michael_W, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I ordered the Vie-Long 4212 and 04312 horse hair brushes off of Amazon for $7.14 and $9.49, respectively, along with a stand and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street Almond Shaving Cream. I like my Cremo-rebrand brush, but the handle is too short for my hands and I prefer to have a back-up or two. I plan to give away the Cremo once the other brushes arrive.

But here's the question I have. Other than the color of the bristles (the 4212 has darker hairs), what is the real difference between the two? The handles look the same, metal and finished wood, so I'm a bit curious.

EnglishChannel and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Hair mix: 25% mane hair; 75% tail hair

Overall Length - 114 mm
    Handle Length - 55 mm
    Loft - 59 mm
    Knot - 20 mm

Weight 80gr. approx.

Hair mix: 25% mane hair; 75% tail hair

Overall Length - 114 mm
    Handle Length - 55 mm
    Loft - 59 mm
    Knot - 20 mm

Weight 80gr. approx.

:signs002:

EnglishChannel and MR41 like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The difference is the knots. The handle is the same. The 4212 is the black horse knot and I think the mix of tail and mane is different.

MR41 likes this.
  4. Michael_W

I see. That should make comparing the two a neat little adventure. I'm going through a D.R. Harris Marlborough puck that someone sent me. I had to melt it in the microwave to get it to fit in my Old Spice mug, but so far with my Cremo-rebrand Vie-Long it shows hardly any sign of wearing down despite my using it for every shave. A good, long-lasting puck indeed, ha ha! But I've been pleased with the results given by the horse hair so far.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  5. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

The soap survived the microwave ok? I understand that brand to be tallow based. I’ve grated Arlington in the past based on what I’ve read.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I find horse brushes rock. I recently put a chinese horse knot into a older handle. It is almost defunked. I gave a horse brush like the 4312 to @Bird Lives. He loves it. Have fun.

EnglishChannel and RyX like this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I believe one is black hair and the other brown. So if the knots and handles are the same size the difference is in the hair color.

8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Guess it depends on the color of the horse.

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I bet even with same tail & mane mixture, the difference in the horses probably matters in the feel of the brush.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I 100% agree with this. You can buy two of the EXACT same brush, and they will/can have a completely different face feel.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree. The same with boar. I have two omega 98 knots. They both are great....but feel different in use.

EnglishChannel, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Michael_W

Yep. Mind you, it had been broken up in order to get all of it to fit into the mic, and I added a bit of water to it when I pulled it out to cool it off and restore it somewhat, but it lathers just fine and I find it's lost none of its effectiveness.

EnglishChannel and RyX like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102:

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

16. Michael_W

Alright, tonight's shave was performed with the black-hair brush and Taylor of Old Bond Street almond shave cream. The bristles really do a good job of holding in the lather, such that I didn't need to add more product, only a few drops of water whenever the lather began to evaporate. Niiiice!

17. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Douglas Carey likes this.