Vie Long Horse Hair Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mynorx, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Any of you chaps try one of these brushes. I have seen another reviewer but I would like some more opinions. I am looking at the 14833 50/50 mix Badger Horse.

they have them over at Bestgoormingtools.com

2. CSL

CSL Member

I too, would like to hear opinions of the Vie Long horse hair brushes.

I've been considering the top of the line 13061.

3. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

What's your reason for choosing a horse hair brush?

I haven't read much in to them.. i'm afraid of being disappointed like I was with boars. I'm almost glued to my badgers at this point. They just work so perfectly.

4. newb

newb Resident Newb

I have the vie Long 13061. All I can say is awesome. Once it's broken in it is soft with tons of backbone. Works great with creams and soap and is a killer when used to face lather. Bullgoose has it on sale for 32 bucks right now. I have a handful of brushes, but if I could only have one, this one is it. This is an everyday everything brush. It's soft but not floppy. It's firm but not scratchy. Reminds me of super badger with boar backbone.

Attached Files:

5. CSL

CSL Member

Ethical reasons.

I'm using a synthetic knot right now & am wondering how the horse hair would compare.

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Just seems interesting. The story is that Horse was used back in the day, Until the Anthrax scare. Then everyone moved to Boar and Badger.

7. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

interesting find. what other brushes have you used? is the 13061 nicely stuffed? I may go for this one because I saw another similar review.

8. newb

newb Resident Newb

I also use a vulfix 404 badger/boar, vulfix pure badger, omega 48, Frank silvertip, vintage simm's with a golden nib 28mm silvertip. The vie long is my favorite, the 404 is a close second. The others all tie for a distant 3rd. Of coarse YMMV but if you like to face lather and want a brush with backbone you won't go wrong with the vie long or the 404.

9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Thanks looks like a real nice brush. Great price point as well.

10. CSL

CSL Member

OK. Just ordered the 13061.

Bullgoose was showing it as 'out of stock' so I got it here -

bestgroomingtools.com

Looking forward to trying out a new toy!:bounce:bounce

11. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

keep us posted

12. CSL

CSL Member

Will do!

13. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I think I just enabled another purchase.

14. CSL

CSL Member

Maybe it's time for an intervention..........:rolleyes:

15. CSL

CSL Member

Well, darn it!
    Turns out that seller was out of those brushes.
    Should have more in about a month so I guess I'll have to learn patience.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Bummer!

Just noticed Bullgoose has them as well, same price

17. CSL

CSL Member

I tried Bullgoose first, but when I went to buy it it came up as out of stock.

After that I found the other seller, but same deal.

I'm just going to have to wait.

18. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

Agree. I have the same brush. One of my favorites, and I have many badgers, boars and synthetics. Good overall balance of performance parameters - good back bone but not stiff, soft face feel... Profiles a bit more like a badger than a boar to me, but with more back bone than for a typical badger of the same softness and density.

19. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

It will likely be an improvement. The only synthetic knot I've liked is the Omega one I have (#643186).

Bullgoose is showing them in stock for me: 13061

20. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

click add to cart. then your cart shows up empty.