Vie-Long Horse Hair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 7, 2018.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

CREMO/VIE-LONG BRUSH UPDATE

Upon first use of this brush, my attention was held captive by the pungent smell. It didn't smell bad out of the box. But surely did once it got wet.
    I have used the Cremo Brush a second time and thought I would share my latest impressions:
    Cremo_Brush_Front.jpg Cremo_Brush_Handle.jpg Cremo_Brush_Top.jpg Cremo_Brush_Knot.jpg Cremo_Brush_Ruler.jpg
    First off, I like the dimensions of this compact brush. It has 20mm knot with 50mm loft. The knot has a modified bulb shape with a flat top.
    The handle is attractive, well made and nicely shaped. It has a substantial weight to it, but is not overly heavy. The faux ivory color gives a retro vibe.
    The horse hair is medium brown in color. Reported to be a private label of the V-L 12601 which is 35% mane & 65% tail hair. It is soft to the touch.

I was pleased that the brush had lost almost all hints of "eau de stable". The lather was also very rich and pure white - no brown tinting as seen the 1st time.
    It definitely has a "prickly feel" as you scrub it on your face. The brush has adequate backbone. I did not modify my typical lathering technique at all.
    I mostly face lather, and tend to enjoy a smaller brush for some reason. This one does a nice job at that. It has not lost any hairs yet. I did not comb it today.

I am pleased with this brush: I got it on clearance; I wanted to add a horse to the stable; it is now dry and a clean smelling little guy at that.
    This is the most I have spent on a shave brush. Time will tell if it is the best of the best (in my collection). Either way, it is a keeper.
    YMMV

Zykris and wchnu like this.
  2. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

My Cremo Vie-Long seems to do a much better job lathering on my D.R. Harris puck than my Van der Hagen boar brush.

Zykris likes this.
  3. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Well, I got the first of my two barber handle brushes, the black hair one, and it had the typical stench when I first got it wet. The odor quickly dissipated as I lathered with it, though, so by the time I was done with tonight's shave it was a lot more tolerable. I expect my second and third uses will eliminate the odor entirely. I have to say, though, that this is a big freakin' brush compared to what I've been using up to now. The stand in which it is presently drying is about seven inches tall, and you can really tell how it dwarfs my poor Merkur 34c. Yikes! But it'll be great for when I dip it into my shave mug using my Taylor of Old Bond Street almond cream.

Attached Files:

EnglishChannel and Zykris like this.
  4. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

5. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Very Nice !!