Vijay stainless blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Demidog, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I decided to give these blades a try because I was able to find them dirt cheap, and I didn't have any other blades from India. These blades shipped from directly India and with free shipping, they are the cheapest blades that I have found to date. Each blades comes wrapped in standard wax paper, which is then wrapped in an additional piece of paper.

During my first shave, I rinsed off the blade and loaded it into my razor with a Charcoal Goods head and iKon Bulldog handle. I used TTFFCraft Steel as my soap. I immediately found that the blade tugged quite a bit and skipped around a whole lot, which necessitated applying some pressure. The blade didn't feel smooth at all, and additional passes and touch ups were needed.

After giving these blades a rest for a while, I returned to them yesterday using some Dr. Jon's Hydra soap and the same razor. I noticed the same results. The first pass left my face patchy since the blade did such a terrible job of slicing through hair. It still tugged and skipped around a whole lot. Interestingly enough, the post-shave feel wasn't too awful. I had a weeper, some razor bumps, and a few small areas of discomfort, but I didn't have anywhere near the level of irritation that I get when I normally shave with my Astra SP blades. I'm beginning to suspect that I might be sensitive to the platinum coating of the Astra blades, so now I'm eager to try more stainless steel blades in the future.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend these blades to anyone with coarse facial hair. I also wouldn't use these blades for multiple shaves since fresh blades do a pretty lousy job as it is. Even though they didn't seem to irritate me like the Astra SPs, the latter at least does a great job of cutting through hair, so I don't imagine that I'll be coming back to these blades too often other than for the sake of finishing them off.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Great review. Try Astra Superior Stainless and Gillette/Wilkinson Sword. Both can be found on the bay around $10 shipped for 100 pack !!!

Demidog likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a budget blade pif going on in the freebies section that features 3 blades that can be had for less then $8 per hundred. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword and the Super-Max Platinum both from India and the Rapira Super Stainless from Russia. I have had good results from all 3, If you would like to give them a shot send me a PM. It will only cost you a review of the blades once you try them.

Demidog likes this.
  4. FancyRamen

FancyRamen Active Member

I can recommend the Wilkinson swords out of the lot in the PIF. The others vary a bit, but sound better than those Vijays for sure.

Demidog and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Demidog

I saw you discuss Astra Superior Stainless in your other thread and I will absolutely be trying them at some point. I still have many other blades to sample but apart from the fact that they leave my skin a bit irritated, the Astra SP were a great deal for the price, and those things can really slice through hair. I can only imagine that the Astra SS would be even better for me.
    This is a great offer and I might take you up on it. Perhaps I can send some Vijay blades your way to try out and distribute around even further.

6. Christopher Powell

Demidog, what other blades do you have in stock? And what blades have you already tried so far?

7. Demidog

The only blades I've tried so far are the Astra SP and the aforementioned Vijays. My sample pack includes Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge, 7 o'clock super stainless, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna Lab Blue, Personna Platinum, Shark Stainless, Shark Chrome, Voskhod Teflon, Wilkinson Sword (German version I believe), and Treet Platinum.

I'll be trying some more blades at a later point, including the Astra SS. I've just been lazy but I'm probably gonna start working my way through the sample pack after today.

8. Christopher Powell

Lots of good blades in there. If you want to set up a trade PM me. I will send some Astra SS blades your way for a few in your sampler pack. Let me know !!!

Demidog likes this.
  9. Demidog

I'll keep that in mind, thank you.