Vikings Blade Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Sep 7, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Vikings Blade Razors. They have two types that I know of, a three piece (Godfather) and a TTO (Chieftain). They look good, especially the design of the Godfather's head, slimmer and covers the complete razor blade. From what I have read, the Godfather does not use Zamac. Some said chrome plated bronze and brass, and as for the Chieftain, not sure but looks of good quality. They go for around $33.00 each and the Godfather may come out in stainless in the near future. I have seen nothing but great reviews about them and for those prices, it's a steal. Seems like the Godfather will be mild or aggressive, depending on the blade that is used. First pic is the Godfather, second the Chieftain..... 814+xCK4T5L._SX522_.jpg 71tBDjctb-L._SX522_.jpg video from youtube..........

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  2. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Check out the baili bd179 and bd191. I'm fairly certain that they are the same razors rebranded. They can both be found for under 10 bucks shipped.

I have the bd179 and it's a great razor. It has a nice feel and weight and is a great mild shave that's similar to a superspeed. It's an incredible value for the price and there's a bunch of company's rebranding them and selling them for double and triple the price.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. jimjo1031

they do seem the same, but I was wondering cause Viking says they are made of Swedish steel. Who knows, maybe the others are copies. Hard to tell these days. But atleast the Godfather they say have no zamac, that's a plus. And the head design seems good.

4. jimjo1031

The owner at Vikings Blade Razors had this to say about the Godfather razor........ "Hi there,
    There seems to be some customer confusion as recently there has been an increase in the number of unauthorized replicas/ private labelled "same same but different" knockoffs. So to help inform future consumers better, the short answer to your question is YES.
    Here is why:
    (1) We are the original inventor and designer of this model with a finalizing patent application- waiting to be published and enforced, so with due respect the rest are infringing on our design and free riding on our intellectual properties.
    (2) All our metals and alloys are imported from Sweden with a stamped certificate of origin and are mixed and forged using a proprietary formula and technology to ensure a lifetime of use with consistency and minimal mechanical wear and zero corrosion, whereas others use readily available materials from unverified sources in Asia. Hence the low price.
    (3) All our razors are custom made to our exact specifications in small batches with superb quality control, whereas the rest are mass copied and produced without authorization. Think why there are over 50 clones of Merkur, Parker, Edwin Jagger and even the super cheap but popular Weishi. Weishi themselves are around $12-$15, yet you will see plenty of Weishi clones selling for $9-$12.
    (4) You get a lifetime warranty against all factory defects, corrosion and malfunctioning- not 30 days, 60 days, 90 days or 1 year like others.
    (5) In the razor market, you do get what you pay for.
    (6) We do not have "I receive this item for free or discount for an 'honest' review."
    Hope this answers all your doubts.
    Skol.
    Old man Julian Vue
    Vikings Blade Founder
    Viking Chieftain"

ninjack likes this.
  5. MetalHead88

Interesting.

The baili is still an awesome razor that looks exactly the same and even if comes with the same case.

I'm still not convinced that the others are replicas. If the owner said they were the same exact one, you'd just go out and by the cheapest one.

At 30 bucks I think you can't go wrong if your looking for a nice mild shave.

6. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

how do they shave? I couldn't find anything on u-tube. It is been said that the aggressiveness depends on the blade.
    The godfather I like more as it has a slimmer head.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. jimjo1031

Only time will tell, especially about having a lifetime warranty. Just have to wait and see how the others hold up. And I'm sure someone will have a review if the copies go bad on them. But I still like that three piece, the Godfather.

8. jimjo1031

Yeah, I like it. Also says it covers the complete sides of the blades. that part on other razors gets real close to my ear lobes and I go slow there. Didn't bother me as much when I was younger and had longer sideburns.

9. jimjo1031

Only reviews I've been able to find so far are on Amazon.

10. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

I do too and the handle looks great. With 6 razors and 3 on the way, I think I'll wait a bit for the reviews to come by and then decide if I want one. The fact that it's mild is a deterent for me as I like smooth aggressive razors. I know my technique needs improving but this will come in time and I don't think that using a mild razor, being more forgiving helps with technique. I do love my 2013 R41, my Futur and progress 500, but the Ikon X3 slant is the best I have used so far although it does like a 3-4 days growth to work its best. If I need to shave every day I use the progress 500 on 5.

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

There's an interesting thread about the Viking razors over on B&B (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/498538-Viking-Razor).

Post #35 is especially interesting as it visually debunks the claim that the Viking is a rebadged Baili.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

seems like Razorock also has a clone out of the Godfather, the Teck II, $10.00.............. RazoRock_Teck_II_grande.jpg

13. MetalHead88

Yep. I doubt they would do anything shaddy like that... Another reason why Vikings statement seems weird to me.

14. jimjo1031

The big question is, which of these razors, from all manufactures, came out first.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hmm..do brass razors usually break when you drop them?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I don't think so... but you can bend one out of alignment, I think.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Stamped would bend right back though. The OP I don't think mentioned exactly went wrong with the razor when dropped.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. I own the Godfather and I will say it gives a very good shave. It's well built. The head isn't the most aggressive and I would compare it to the Edwin Jagger DE 89 but I will say it give you a very nice BBS shave. The handle is longer than I like but it is heavy because of the metal they use. The head completely encases the blade which really looks nice. Overall it provides a very comfortable close shave.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. DeMariniDK42

DeMariniDK42 New Member

The Chieftain was the first DE that I bought for myself after getting into wet shaving. Saw nothing but great reviews on it from Amazon. I will say, its a very well built and beautiful razor. Personally, I have a very hard time getting a good shave with it. I've tried a variety of blades (feather, personna, astra, voskhod) but cant seem to get a smooth shave out of it. Blade exposure is minimal and for me, it just is not aggressive enough for my type of skin/hair. Like was stated above, it is a comfortable shaver. I'm just having a hard time getting the right angle to get a great shave.

20. Pippo

Pippo New Member

I have been the factory by myself, and I can say that there are no difference between Viking Blade razors and the rest in the markets. Sweden alloy, small batch, "you do get you pay for", all marketing stories.

BigMark83 likes this.