Vintage Berkley Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ordinaryshaver, Feb 24, 2019.

1. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I picked up a package of the vintage blades a while back on a trip out of town a couple of months ago, and upon trying them, I was less than impressed.

What is the general consensus on vintage blades? Any makers besides Gillette that are any good?

I will give them a try in a couple of different razors and see what happens.

2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

You can expect less than marvelous results from any vintage carbon DE blades . They deteriorate in the best of circumstances. Gillette blades were not particularly well reviewed in the pre-war period, there would be no reason to expect them to be any less awful than any other carbon blade from that period. Berkeley blades were well reviewed.

Stainless blades are another story entirely but most of Gillette's small company competition was defunked by the 60s. Stainless blades from that period I've had good luck with.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  3. brit

brit in a box

i am trying the gillette spoiler blades and schicks .i missed the boat in the 80s..they go for $today but they should be good.at these prices i am sure people aren't just restocking their vintage cases with them..not going to bother with the blue blades..yet..

Frijolero likes this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Well, started out my shave with the Berkeley blade in the slim adjustable, and it was going so badly that I figured I'd try it in the fatboy.
    That was a huge mistake. The blade was super tuggy, and while it is supposed to be made of car spring steel, it just didn't do the job .
    I noticed that it was also much more rigid than most other blades. Perhaps that has something to with it, or not.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had a box of those ....... :prrr:

Only good to make a foxhole radio ....

P3121089.jpg

:eatdrink013:

Frijolero likes this.