Vintage Blade Dispenser Question

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by preidy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Mr Razor (photo below) listed as first 20 pack dispenser - 1948.

Question for any blade experts. Does any one know what razor (cases) this dispenser may have been used in? I recently picked one up in a multi-piece buy thinking it would be Made in England, but the case I received indicates Made in USA? It is also dark blue and identical to the one shown below and has "T" Blue blades blades in it. Only possible use I can find is maybe as the two dispensors behind the mirror in the Executive case - listed as foil wrapped? Just curious.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

An educated guess:
    D) None of the above.

It would seem to me that a 20 piece dispenser would be the "refill" that Gillette wanted to sell us. I have never seen a razor set sold with more than 5 blades.

shoe13950 likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Ten blade dispensers are the maximum I've seen sold with a razor. The English were more generous. American razors were usually sold with 2, 3, 5, 6, or in rare cases, 10 blades.

The 20 packs were refills, and were sold packaged in a cardboard box similar to the blue "blue blades" boxes.
    [​IMG]

mrchick and shoe13950 like this.
  4. shoe13950

shoe13950 Well-Known Member

I learn something new here everyday. Great question, and as always, awesome knowledge shared. Thanks

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Did some more research and it appears the @preidy is correct.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The assumption is that the 20 blade packs are blue. No one wants to rip open the foil packs to double check, though. :)
    The executive was sold with 50 blades.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Found this 1947 add. Looks like they came out a year earlier than thought. Looking at the alumium foil indentions (above photo) it looks like the number of lines on the case (8) match. So it would seem that the case is either the dark blue one above or the light blue 20 pack as denoted in Mr Razor.

[​IMG]

Found this old photo on the Bay showing the blue dispensor.

[​IMG]