Vintage Gillette Pricing

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I find it very interesting to see the disparity in pricing of vintage Gillettes. I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my latest purchase so you (especially those new to wetshaving) could get an idea of what's available.

Below is a long handled Super Adjustable I found in a local antique shop. I paid $5 for it. Yep, 5 bucks. It amazes me that these and other older Gillettes are selling for 10-20 times that amount!!! Maybe more.

I also have a Fat Boy, two 1949 Super Speeds and a gold 1906 single ring. The most I've paid is $7. None are perfect, but all are more than presentable and all shave well.

All of the razors I've seen are so inexpensive, I don't even haggle over the price. I bought one of the '49s, the single ring and a "New" for from one dealer for $20 for all three...and still think I overpaid!

My friends, you do not have to pay big bucks to own one of these razors. Thought you'd like to know.

Here's my $5 Super Adjustable...

Attached Files:

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    It's very true you can find some great deals out there, and it's certainly worth the look.

Sometimes along the way you get to laugh at the broken de selling for 20x it's value (admittedly that's rare, but it's happened)

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nice find, Michael! :happy088

I've never paid more than $5 for a Gillette, either. I've discovered a new appreciation for antiquing. ;)

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Or the straight razors that are beyond the grave selling for $50+. :rolleyes:

Those are a lot easier to find than broken DEs.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Tell me about it!

James.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I got mine for cheap too and sold 'em again recently without making a profit (or wanting to).
    I'd never pay 50$ or more for a vintage razor - mostly, it's all just hype that's driving the prices up. I don't take part in that game.

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

There are deals to be had but you have to be careful, be sure to ask questions and expect answers. We have a local antique shop that has a razor or two, one of which I was interested in. She wanted $35 for it. I explained everything that was wrong with it and offered her $5. She refused saying it was a collectable and not to shave with. :happy102 Almost two years later it's still there. :D
    Start with what you can afford, the razor doesn't have to be perfect cosmetically. If it turns out that you like a razor, then buy, sell, trade, barter and work your way up to the one that makes you smile.
    Often times the prices of razors go up and down depending on what everyone is talking about in the forums. :D
    Wait till the excitement dies down and then make your purchase.

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

So offer her $3 next time you're in the shop. :)

Just remember, boys and girls, there are plenty of local sources (read, NOT online auction sites - or even some shaving forum sellers). Many of the online sellers charge as much or more for shipping a razor as you'll have to pay to buy one locally!

Flea markets, antique shops, yard sales, etc. are great places to find vintage DEs...at excellent prices. Yes, you have to leave the comfort of your ergonomic chair and go out looking for them. And sometimes there are none to be found. But it's good to go out in public occasionally! :D

Happy shopping...please post pics of your "finds" and let us know what you paid for your new toys.

9. paydepst

paydepst Member

These days my razor collecting takes a bit of a back seat since I've started Superlather but I do like to keep my hand in the antique razor market and even if I'm not buying I follow pricing and talk with some of the razor resellers a few of whom are members in the various wetshaving forums including this one.

It definitely goes in cycles. And there seemingly is no rhyme or reason in how some razors can command the prices that they do (regardless of the shape they are in) and how other presumably more sought after razors will go for a pittance and in a few cases close with no bids whatsoever. Perhaps in that respect razor demands of the moment mirror human nature in a marketplace microcosm. But that may be getting a wee bit too deep. Better to say people are fickle and that one day they want this and the next they want that and the previous day's darling is out of favour.

Perfect example is the Gillette Ranger Tech. A rare razor by most definitions, forerunner of the exquisite Super Speed line, and yet I regularly see this razor selling at remarkably low prices. Now granted this is because most people that list it don't know what it is and it can be difficult to tell from photos but you would think more collectors would be on to it. The Brits too went through a period not long ago-about the time I came into DE wetshaving-where they were blisteringly hot. They've cooled a bit but they can still fetch a good price.

I guess this is just a longwinded way of saying that it comes in waves. If you get a good deal then just enjoy it and try not to rub it in too much. Like I could mention the Mint Boxed Ranger Tech (now complete with camo pack) that I picked up a while back for less than $20.00 or the Mint cased 54 TV SuperSpeed that I picked up as part of a lot for around $25.00 but I won't do that because I don't want to rub it in. :D

It does keep it interesting though.

10. where do you find those good deals on vintage Gillette's? :confused:

11. And Guess who gets them all talking? ;)

Good advice!

12. Norman4Law

Norman4Law New Member

There's a knife shop in downtown Los Angeles that has a display case full of reconditioned vintage DE razors and NOS razor blades. Thery're kind of expensive, but it's like going 50 years back in time to pick out what you want.

13. daveyp

daveyp New Member

What knife shop is it? I'd like to see that and I live in LA.

Thanks
    Dave