-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Yessir. My honest opinion. Single ring and double ring are very difficult to beat shave wise.

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir.i haven't used my old types enough.first times got me weepers ,last one was a great shave, but i have to be mindful.

3. Jrdelgado

I get a weeper once in awhile. But the closeness on the neck is unbeatable. The Flat bottom tech does well and the rfb is right there as well.

brit likes this.
  4. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

have you tried using your old types with the proper 3 hole blade.even a honed one.i may try that one day.i have a used one somewhere i will try and hone up..probably why i like the news' at present .it takes the modern blades..i know little about the old types.i have a canadian 3 piece and single ring,both nickel/silver..

6. pj3r

pj3r Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Poslano sa mog SM-A600FN koristeći Tapatalk

Tanuki, MacDaDad, stuartganis and 6 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

November 11th
    Razor: Gillette NEW LC
    Blade: Gillette 7 O:Clock Permasharp (1)
    Brush: PAA Green Ray
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling GLO
    Stirling Orange Chill witch hazel
    Stirling Mentholated unscented balm
    AS: Stirling GLO

No Repeat November/Menthol Monday

Good morning! [​IMG]

Tanuki, EDC, MacDaDad and 6 others like this.
  8. Dirtfarmer

I've been looking at this for the last couple of months trying to decide if I was gonna get it. Finally decided to look at it a little closer and decided to jump. It was a little higher than my "hard" set limit I'll spend on a razor but I don't have one like it so here it is.
    IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0793.JPG
    Now to get it cleaned up to give it a go.

Tanuki, EDC, MacDaDad and 7 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

awesome new lc shave Jim.

Jrdelgado and jluc like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

cool single ring set.plating looks fine..

RyX and Jrdelgado like this.
  11. Dirtfarmer

Would a couple of trips threw the sonic cleaner and a scrubbing with Dawn dish soap be acceptable for the clean up. I don't want to mess anything up. Does the wood box look to be right for the razor? And thank you sir.

ilts, RyX, Jrdelgado and 1 other person like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

i unfortunately know little about old types but it looks good.there are others here who know more.i use dawn/toothbrush and then silver polish,but mine are caseless and more common.there are folks who can accurately date them and restore the case..am sure they will be along soon..nice score..:)..is there a serial #? or gillette stamp on the bottom of the baseplate?

13. Dirtfarmer

It has a Gillette stamp on the bottom. I'll have to clean it to see if it says Made in USA. There looks to be a serial number on the top of the comb. I've got it soaking in hot water and am gonna give it a scrub with dish soap.

RyX, Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

the serial #will tell you what year it is..http://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-date-codes/ ..good luck..

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Gary!

Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  16. Dirtfarmer

Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i would say 1920/21.1906 didn't have a gillette stamp and the serial # were on the inner handle shaft as far as i know..

18. Dirtfarmer

That's where I am leaning. I didn't know about the stamp and serial #. That's why I love this site. A million books worth of knowledge in one place.

RyX, Jrdelgado and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

a whole bunch of gillette nuts..now you are getting personally acquainted with your single ring set ,enjoy your first shave with it.ride the cap and light touch if its your first old type..

Dirtfarmer, RyX and Jrdelgado like this.
  20. Jrdelgado

Congratulations! Enjoy it. I have had more I have traded or sold. I have a few now and really enjoy them.

Dirtfarmer, brit and RyX like this.