-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

fine black handle shave and pic Steve..

Somnos, MacDaDad and ilts like this.
  2. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Gary, Thank You!

Somnos and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

good morning..:)

Somnos and ilts like this.
  4. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Monday‌ ‌04.06.20‌ ‌SOTD

DSCF0024 - Edited.jpg

Gillette ’46 gold Milord (ndc) in case
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel ‌(1)‌
    Yaqi‌ ‌Moka‌ ‌Express‌ ‌26mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌Badger‌ ‌
    Barrister‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌

Barrister‌ ‌And‌ ‌Mann‌ ‌Barrister's‌ ‌Cheshire‌ ‌Aftershave‌

DSCF0026 - Edited.jpg

BigD, Droo78, Somnos and 6 others like this.
  5. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Not a problem, the ramble is the informative part, keep on keep'n on. Gillette Pre War Techs British, Canadian and USA are my favorite shaves.. :)

Somnos likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

awesome milord shave and pics Jim..these gillettes are just..classy..:)

Somnos and MacDaDad like this.
  7. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Thanks Gary

8. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

So I've been wet shaving for about a month now maybe a little longer and currently I'm using a Rockwell R1 that I actually bought from a variety store in downtown St.Thomas (weird I know but the store actually had quite a bit of items) and so far it is my favourite of all the razors I've used, all only being 5 so far but I feel its worth noting that my second favourite razor, the one that gave this beginner the closest shave he's ever had hands down is the Gillette 1930's NEW long comb bar handle purchased for $10 at the antique store also in St.Thomas. I cleaned it up as much as possible without damaging it and disinfected it 5 times before I used it. I used a Parker Premium Platinum blade since I ordered the beginner or starter kit from the wet shaving club.com which included 100 blades and man alive for a razor that is almost 100 years old it was incredible! Amazing! Absolutely astounding! This wasn't the first time I used a safety razor, I used the one that came in that beginner\starter kit mentioned above a few times and it was ok, decent, certainly the razor you want to use as a beginner but the Gillette! that razor was what shifted my focus from collecting any and all vintage razors to just Gillette and Gillette only. That razor took what used to be a boring, mundane chore, one I would put off as long as possible and even growing the sorriest excuse for a beard as an excuse not to shave anymore and turned it into a new found passion, past time, hobby and relaxing ritual. I now want to shave everyday even though I don't need to, I want to try as many combinations of razors, blades, brushes, soaps as my budget will allow (after my 30 day same setup is over of course) and I am constantly hunting for that Gillette razor, case, blade bank or instruction booklet I need to complete and display my next full set (I have two so far now, a 1967 slim adjustable set and a 1930's NEW federal set) In short I wish I had discovered wet shaving a long time ago but better late than never as they say, right?

BigD, Droo78, Aztecmike and 5 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

very cool Jake,glad you found us here.lots of cool gillettes here.i myself like the british gillettes for a few reasons,not all shave quality either.my grandfather was a gillette man since the late 1930s..i also like rhodium /nickel plate razors over gold ones,but i do have a few.stick around..many fine gillettes go up for grabs on the BST/classifieds here on the forum.many are found on the ebay sights as well.there will be no shortage of razors in your future..:)have fun and welcome.if you have a gillette question feel free to ask.there are many cool sources here for info..here is one you will like..enjoy..https://www.mr-razor.com/..and the guys that hang out here are awesome as well..:)

Aztecmike, Somnos, ilts and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

06/04/20
    1921 new improved tuckaway/karve handle
    gsb
    bbj custom/omega boar
    captain's choice bowl
    barrister's reserve classic(sun up) 20200405_143814_edited.jpg

BigD, Droo78, Aztecmike and 6 others like this.
  11. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get started on here! Getting to know the regulars and trading with them, being on the lookout not only for myself but others too like if I see a decent Aristocrat case from the 30's and thinking "Johnny just posted something about wanting an Aristocrat case, this one is in good shape, I'll pick it up for him" I guess it's the whole "being part of something larger than myself" atmosphere I'm excited about. Anyway looking forward to all of it.

ilts, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

very cool.just so you know,we keep any trading and such with pm or private message.we don't post such things on the forums here as is the forum rules.this is a place to show our gillette shave of the day and talk about/show our new favorite gillette product.the "gillettes finest" thread is more like a gillette photo album .. will be cool to see you here..enjoy your focus..:)..see you at the 30dc..

Somnos, ilts and MacDaDad like this.
  13. MacDaDad

04/05/2020

Battery is dead on the old Nikon.. I'll get it charge manana'.

Brit New rfb w/Fat Handle Mitchell's Wool Fat alum block, Thayer's, Pinaud Clubman and let's see, what else? Gillette Blue Box Platinum blade. :) Hellava shave. :)

Droo78, Somnos, ilts and 2 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

fine shave Mac,have a fine monday..

15. MacDaDad

Is everyone in here keeping their distance and washing their hands? Me too. :) But I tell you, after a shave like I had tonight it is tough to keep my hands off my face. ;)

Droo78, Aztecmike, Somnos and 2 others like this.
  16. MacDaDad

Thanks You Gary, fine shave indeed and a fine Monday to you as well. :)

17. brit

brit in a box

i here ya..we are stuck at home,but ok.lots of hand washing..:)

MacDaDad and Somnos like this.
  18. MacDaDad

Can anyone in here tell me they don't like Mitchell's Wool Fat? And can anyone tell me they don't enjoy a Brit New rfb shave? Eh? :D

19. brit

brit in a box

love em both..:)

20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Ball End Old Type 04/06/20 DSCF4564.JPG

BigD, Droo78, MacDaDad and 4 others like this.