Vintage Gillette Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

1. brit

brit Well-Known Member

a very nice set indeed..once i get into my old types more i am sure i will get one. they are stunning looking razors ..

Rev579 likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Razor 3/6 - Gillette Aristocrat 1938 - 1940 variant
    Shave 2/2 - Ladas blade

I skipped a day but it didn't matter, I am formally calling this and the 36 - 38 Aristocrat aka razor 2/6 in the group picture the same razor sans aesthetics. Same shave with both razors with the Ladas blade. If they just standardized the production of the razors in 38 to the style tabs introduced on the Senator then the 2 Sheratons should be the same shave wise. Those 2 are next up in the shave progression.

ilts, Linuxguile, Rev579 and 2 others like this.
  3. Artlogon

Artlogon Well-Known Member

Thanks

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Aristocrat (no date code) / Wilkinson Sword [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

BigD, ilts, BlaydRunner and 5 others like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

VGSOTD.jpg

I thought I’d go with a travel/compact set-up this morning. I was able to soak my brush in the pill bottle(which serves as a back-up soak option if the coffee mugs are in use).
    The gold washed container seems to go with a brush or kit made by someone other than Gillette, based on the dimensions and hole pattern on the cap. The shave stick was made from older stock ToOBS I bought that had hardened a bit.

Razor: Gillette Milady TTO(1940)
    Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
    Brush: Simpson Wee Scot
    Pre-Shave: Face Lather
    Lather: ToOBS Mr. Taylor’s Travel Stick
    Aftershave: Pre de Provence No. 63 Balm
    Additional Care:
    Giorgio Armani Myrrhe Impériale

https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/5cb49bc329d3e575a715cfdb

BigD, Somnos, ilts and 7 others like this.
  6. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I can say that is the first time I have seen that razor!! Awesome set up! Thank you!

brit likes this.
  7. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

This one came to me from Canada a little over a year ago. It was during a period when I was trying to grab one of each of the little razors. I named the Milord, Jr. because my son wanted one also and I was able to find one back in January for him. I've only seen them a couple of times, and they usually are overlooked-don't do that. They shave like a 40-41 anything(Ranger, Aristocrat, Milord, and Super Speed).

brit and Jrdelgado like this.
  8. Jrdelgado

I will be on the lookout!

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Razor 4/6 - Gillette Sheraton 1937 - 1938 variant
    Shave 1/2 - Bic blade

Last time I used this razor it was an aggressive shave this time around nothing remarkable about it. It just shaved for lack of a better description and the overall shave was as good if not better than any of the 3 open comb Aristocrats. I am almost 100% sure why the shaves were so different and it has to do with that the last time I used a Sheraton it was a different Sheraton than this one. That one had issues with the doors opening and closing and this one doesn't have any mechanical issues. @Linuxguile was right about this being a fairly mild razor. Lesson here if the razor has any sort of mechanical issues no matter how inconsequential it can affect how the razor shaves. The razor may still work but not as originally intended.

GOC6.jpg sher4.jpg

BigD, ilts, BlaydRunner and 5 others like this.
  10. brit

brit Well-Known Member

cool set up and pic sir, nice razor..

Rev579 likes this.
  11. brit

brit Well-Known Member

15/04/19 -- #77 new rfb set-gsb-rr barrel badger-proraso cypress and vetyver set- 20190415_203334.jpg

BigD, Somnos, ilts and 6 others like this.
  12. Jrdelgado

Extremely nice setup sir!

brit likes this.
  13. brit

brit Well-Known Member

thank you sir..

14. brit

brit Well-Known Member

just started a gillette razor/set photo thread .if anyone has a cool set ,please post a pic...razors/sets only preferred..

BlaydRunner and Rev579 like this.
  15. brit

brit Well-Known Member

16/04/19
    1945 #77 new rfb set in black bakelite case.
    canadian fuller brush.
    erasmic soap in rexall bake lite stag soap dish.
    razorock puros aftershave . 20190416_112625.jpg

BigD, ilts, BlaydRunner and 3 others like this.
  16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

VGSOTD.jpg
    No brush used. Shaving Cream applied with finger-tips. I hate to think of how much of this shaving cream I used trying to figure out that it is brushless. When used as brushless, there is an amazingly smooth and protective layer that stays on your skin, easily allowing "me" a BBS shave. The stuff must have been a finalist for use with the super-collider.
    This 2nd use of the blade.

Razor: ABC 1909 Tapered Shell(Gold) A943890
    Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge Yellow
    Pre-Shave: Face Lather
    Lather: PdP No. 63 Cream
    Aftershave: Pre de Provence No. 63 Balm
    Additional Care:
    Giorgio Armani Myrrhe Impériale
    Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-shave/Beard Oil

https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/5cb62ffe29d3e575a715cff2

BigD, ilts, BlaydRunner and 4 others like this.
  17. brit

brit Well-Known Member

lovely set sir, nice shave..

Rev579 likes this.
  18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I already posted this one, but decided to use the PDP 63 to justify adding to the thread. I promise to add some new ones, but I just really like shaving with the 102's and ABC's. I haven't even tried over 90% of my SE's. I'll need to shave my beard again if I am going to learn to shave with an SE. I'm not fond of learning a technique or razor on my neck.
    The only Injector I partly regret selling was my F. That was a nice looking razor. And in addition to being great looking, it was a precise shaving instrument, maybe second only to a straight.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit Well-Known Member

all is good sir,you have cool truly vintage gillettes,and this is a sotd thread..i post the same razor many times here..i did start a gillette razor /set only thread as well called "gillettes finest"as well..

Rev579 likes this.
  20. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

RFB
    Nacet
    Rudy Vey 22mm TGN finest
    Tabac
    Proraso Green IMG_0777.jpg

BigD, ilts, stuartganis and 4 others like this.