-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Flare tip / Rapira lux [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

ilts, Linuxguile, MacDaDad and 3 others like this.
  2. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

How do find the RPL in your Flair Tip? I have some but I can’t seem to get on with them. Love Personna Platinum, Blues, Voskhod. Thought I would like the RPL.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i haven t tried any of those blades. to date i use the gillette russian blades the most..gsb,nacet,astra green/blue,.i like voskhod..

Linuxguile, MacDaDad and Somnos like this.
  4. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I have and use Astra SP, GSB, Gillette Platinum etc and really like the Nacets and Rubie but something about the RPL just doesn’t work. I will be trying some of my Astra SS in my upcoming rotations to compare against the Astra SP.

5. brit

brit in a box

i also have gillette platinums but haven t used them much..polsilvers, permasharp,gillette sharp edge yellows,wilkinson are good too . i will be dabbling with the vintage gillette super stainless spoilers soon..

Linuxguile, Somnos and Frijolero like this.
  6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

To tell you the truth I can't tell the difference between my Russian blades, Personna blades and all the other blades I have. The only blades I feel a difference is my Feathers and KAI blades.
    How is your dad doing, is he still in the hospital?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Somnos and brit like this.
  7. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

He is doing better and he has been home the past week recouperating, I have been with him the whole time. He is getting stronger day by day and hopefully will get some clean wind in his sails. Been a rough road from end Oct until now. Thanks for asking.

As for Blades I love the Kai but I am not a fan of Feathers...I know to some that is blasphemy but they don’t do much for me. Kai are just stiffer and in a Tech, just phenomenal.

8. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Polsilvers and Perma-Sharp along with Gillette Wilkinson Swords I have good stocks of but no 7 O’Clocks.

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Final shave with the 1960 Toggle on 2. The mildness on 2 is like tech or maybe blue tip SS. Decent shave but I think the sweet spot on this razor is maybe a 3 or 4. Either way this razor didn't endear itself to me and got voted off the island. Anyone interested in a Toggle pm me.

MacDaDad, Somnos and brit like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Next up a 1958 Fat Boy set at 9. I already shaved my 1960 Executive on 9 over the holidays. Going to find out how much they differ if at all. The Executive at 9 was the mildest so far of all the adjustables I used. Really good shave also, a mild but deadly type of shave.
    FB.jpg

11. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Well unfortunately I am on a self-imposed moratorium on buying anything in 2019 so too bad for me...:angry032:

12. brit

brit in a box

was on a NB-19..if i had followed through i would have missed this.. s-l1600.jpg
    how many of these are around in unused condition..i have limited my NB ,but when i deal comes along ...

BlaydRunner, BigD, ilts and 3 others like this.
  13. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

:drool: Well done Sir!! Well done! :happy036:

brit likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Rules were meant to be broken, if you can construct them you sure as hell can deconstruct them.

brit and Somnos like this.
  15. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

True however, I am a man of my word and so I signed up because really adding a 40th razor is at this point just silly for me. I am going to enjoy all that I have including leering lovingly at that Toggle! :smiley respect:

brit likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

40 razors is a good start.

brit likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i agree. i was buying too many soaps and in the end they all give similar results ,hence the NB. but vintage gillettes are not being reproduced, so if the razor you want comes up for a deal ,well sometimes there is no next time..i also pass on my duplicate razors as i upgrade them so they don t sit around looking pretty..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Somnos likes this.
  18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

True, some things are a buy it when you see it deal, within reason of course. Toggles are not one of those though. What is is the seller and if they will cut a better deal through certain venues than what you could get through others from someone else. Enough chumming the waters....

Droo78, brit and Somnos like this.
  19. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Fair enough and a valid point...

brit likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

very true points made.. i wouldn t have purchased tis travel set if it wasn t unused as i have one of these razor sets. i will now sell my newer 60s travel set to cover some of the cost.will be posting the vintage 40s shave when this set arrives..

Somnos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.