Vintage Gillette

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ben Keller, Apr 25, 2023.

1. Ben Keller

Ben Keller Member

Hello all I know it has been a while since I have posted on here. I have really enjoyed shaving with a saftey razor!!! I've been using my King C and red tip and really enjoy them!! I came across a pre war fat handle Tech, and all I have to say is wow what a shave!! I'm not giving up on my other razors but I really like this Tech!!

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

There are a few underrated razors ..... meaning they just don't get to share in the limelight other razors do.

Techs
    Flares
    Kronas
    vintage Super Speeds

:)

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Agreed. You almost never hear about just regular super speeds on the forums anymore, but they are all great shavers.

jimjo1031, brit and Enrico like this.
  4. ksmith56

ksmith56 New Member

What do you mean by "regular" super speeds? Are you referring to the blue tip, etc.?

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Before the Flair Tips................
    1950 (V2 on blade) Super-Speed.jpg

Lockback and brit like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I was actually just talking about super speeds in general, both flare tips and pre-flare tips. Just the bog standard common super speed, the most common DE razor type after the three piece techs.

Everyone talks about the special Gillette models like aristocrats and ranger techs, adjustables and red tips and blue tips, and the British Gillette razors, not the regular super speeds.

Lockback and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

flare tip was the longest running i believe.1954 -1985 ish?,the regular superspeed being 1946-54..

PLANofMAN and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

The Krona is not a Gillette, but always gets my vote for an underappreciated blade holder. Even when I was a cart guy, I bought the Schick.

PLANofMAN and Enrico like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If you count the head style as being pretty universal, it ran from 1941 with the ranger tech to 2002 with the slim twist.

I think the flare tip was officially discontinued in 1988, though it's rare to see any that were made after 1985.

I'm going off memory for these dates, so they may not be 100% accurate.

brit likes this.