Vintage Jade East

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello all, tonight I found on eBay a slightly used bottle of both the cologne and aftershave. They were very reasonable. The scent is the vintage made by Swank/Regency. I decided to try it because my lady love said it was the only cologne she remembered that she liked. Is anyone familiar with this cologne/aftershave combo? What are your thoughts? I got it simply to please the Mrs. And of course, to please me as well. I hope she likes it, and I hope she will enjoy it on me.

2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Looking forward to you report.

Morman Bridge and Robyflexx like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

My dad used to have a bottle of Jade East. I haven't smelled it in years, but I think it is similar to Hi Karate if I remember correctly.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I used Jade East in my teenage years. The girls did like it...a lot. :cool:

Morman Bridge likes this.
  5. Dale Schmidt

Dale Schmidt Active Member

I have a partial bottle of Jade East somewhere in storage. I do like it, but I am an English Leather Man.

Paul Turner and Morman Bridge like this.
  6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Fragrances listed seem to be spiced vanilla, musk, cedar and other woodsy notes, green/leafy notes, and citrus. It is possible that the green and/or citrus notes have morphed or disappeared, with the other notes deepening, if the bottle is truly a vintage one. That could lead to it having a scent unlike what your lady love remembers.
    Apparently, Jade East is still in production, if the scent is not what she had in mind.

Keithmax and Morman Bridge like this.
  7. Morman Bridge

Thanks Jasman, I thought of this too. I hope the stuff I already ordered is still the same as it was. She and I both are looking forward to its arrival.

8. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

How does the new version compare to the vintage? Weaker?

9. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

General reviews indicate the new stuff has 'more lime' in it than the vintage. That said, citrus scents are often shorter-lived than the others in the composition, so 'more lime' could just indicate the transformation the older bottles of the formula have undergone, where the citrus that used to be prominent isn't any longer.

White731 likes this.
  10. Morman Bridge

Hello folks, the vintage Jade East arrived today. I tried some right away and I immeiately noticed a talc scent. There seem to be floral notes and a little musk scent. To me it doesn't seem to be the same as described on some of the reviews I read, but my lady says it is the same as she remembered. It is a pleasant scent.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

At Khe Sanh in 1966 at Christmas eve a Marine and I had nothing to drink in our fighting hole. He was from New York. All we had was a bottle of Jade East. It was green. It was Christmas. We drank the Jade East. We where sick to our stomachs. But what the heck, it was Christmas. :happy102:

12. Morman Bridge

Thank you for your service Marine.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

It was a honor to serve. :happy088: thank you for your kind words.

14. Morman Bridge

Hello again, I just had an evening shave, and I used the Jade East After Shave, as well as the Jade East cologne. I showered then shaved, and applied the as and cologne post shave. I didn't realize how much a shower would clear up my sense of smell. I have chronic sinus problems, and the hot shower cleared my nose up. This enabled me to get a more clear impression of the cologne. I must say, for a 30+ year old cologne/after shave combo this pair rocks. I like my vintage English Leather better, but this stuff is pretty good too. And my Christina loves it! So overall I am happy I got them. But as I stated earlier, I do like my vintage English Leather better.

Jasman and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

When I was in college a guy in the next room broke a bottle of Jade East in his dorm room. The room had the scent until I graduated, that May. The guy bought a new bottle and the rest of us never wanted to experience Jade again. To this day I do unscented or minimum scent where every possible. Congratulations to you who have the opposite memories of Jade.

Douglas Carey likes this.