Vintage knife collectors?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Drygulch, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So I've actually reached the point where I have enough razors that I am not actively seeking new ones out. Not saying I won't rescue any and all I come across in the wild, but no actively seeking.
    This leads to my next problem. I am getting interested in vintage knives. I'm up to about 6 fixed blade ones, and 15 or so folders, including some family heirlooms.
    Are there any forums as awesome as this one that focus on collecting, restoring and learning about vintage knives?

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Here's part of what I have, and four on thier way to me. IMG_7250.jpg IMG_7198.jpg

wristwatchb, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Drygulch likes this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

How old does it need to be considered vintage? I have a little collection of knives, but they are pretty much all from my lifetime.

[​IMG]

The 112 folder was given to me by my grandpa sometime back in the 80's. 83-85 if I had to guess.

The 119 General I bought very late 80's, early 90's. I have used it for hunting on occasion, but it is a little bigger than suits my preference for that. It has mainly done duty butchering hogs, and as a camp knife in general. That knife has put a lot of meat in the freezer over the years.

I guess I would call these vintage knives, because both of them came from a time when you didn't have to look at your Buck and see what country it came from to decide how good of a knife it is.

6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The knife with a fork and spoon was given to me by my grandfather when I got my Tenderfoot badge in scouts, so early 80s. It needs some clean up. I was suprized to find out my other knife from being a kid is a Ka-bar, although it was made in Taiwan. I mowed a lot of yards to buy that. Both of those have processed a lot of fish, rabbits, and birds.

7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yeah, I do like sharp things. And sharpening things. I have a couple of axes/tomahawks, and sword and machete as well. I tend to like the ones made from about 1850-1960, and prefer American cutlery companies. Starting to look at some custom knives too...

8. swarden43

Hey Adam, @Drygulch , any info on your knives?

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Haven't had time to do much with them. Have them in a storage bin kept on a high shelf right now, except for the four or so I carry. Trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid going down another rabbit hole, but already looking at a few books and specialty tools on how to disassemble the folders and clean them up. In the new batch, the Kamp King knife is actually in really great shape. I cleaned it up a little, and have it in the sharpen me pile right now.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. swarden43

Don't fight it. Chase the rabbit. Have fun. Life's short. Enjoy it!

Drygulch likes this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have buck knife as well. My wife's grandfather gave me his but the sheath was completely tattered. I need to buy one. So I can carry it .

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Nice collection, Adam. I'm a fan of Case Canoes (like the one you have), Barlows, and Trappers.

Drygulch likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Check out these beauties from Great Eastern Cutlery: http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/

I have a couple of GEC barlows and love them.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Drygulch likes this.