Vintage Norton Hones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 5, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

These hones are rarely talked about, and in my searching, I didn't get a clear answer to my questions. So, I figured thousands of minds are better than one.
    I acquired this stone today, on Ebay. It was a last minute buy, because I saw it and didnt have much time to research it. I do not know what the grit is, or really much about this stone. I figured if it was too coarse, I could use it to start new bevels. I put a low bid in and won, at $5.
    Anyone else use Norton Stones??

Norton India FB 36. 6x2 inches.
    These are all the photos provided to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have a dual side that I just got as part of a Trade haven't had time to really test it yet will try and snap a pic when I get back home

DaltonGang, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  3. eddieb20842

eddieb20842 Active Member

I know that this reply is late, but I worked for Norton Co. and this India FB 36 is considered a fine grit stone. No grit size is specified!
    ATTRIBUTES:
    • Fast stock removal for quick edge shaping with minimal loading
    • India – Smooth cutting aluminum oxide abrasive,
    • Long lasting cutting edge Norton's trademark for a fine finish
    • The choice of artisans, craftsmen and mechanics
    • Ideal for clean deburring, generating keen edges and quality finishes

Linuxguile likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten around to using them(several nortons) yet. I need to clean this one up, and see what it does. Thanks for reminding me that I had them.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I found this on Behr Manning...

2F2B21BD-2E4C-46ED-AD12-C4C4802AB975.jpeg

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

I have quite a few fine India stone in several sizes. One thing I found about them that some are finer than others. I have one 8 inch that is especially fine that I use occasionally for bevels on heavier grinds with mineral oil. I do have a bit of vintage Nortons that see regular use in finishing and touchups. The 12 inch hard combo in first picture is great on kitchen knifes with the long runway

81B314CC-2FEF-4FE8-8333-921BE1233A74-27990-00000FA3BE6D1372.jpeg 0B5E56ED-094D-4746-A233-376D44C4590A-46354-00001A5DC706513A.jpeg IMG_0901.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    M14Shooter and DaltonGang like this.