Vintage (now antique) Avon frag comparisons

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by gorgo2, May 28, 2011.

1. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

AVON LIGHT MUSK - Just found it in the "Remember When" gas pump. This stuff is amazing. Smells great and lasts a while. Definitely one to seek out.

[​IMG]

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, I'm stretching out the only bottle I've ever found of it.

You may also like their Cool Sage if you can find it. EXCELLENT, if pretty much one- or two-note. Apparently it's quite rare; I mention it only because that's what came in my yellow gas pump.

3. thevez2

Yeah, cool sage is on my list of ones I need to find. I think it only came in two different bottles. Likewise, light musk only came in 3 or 4 different bottles.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A dead match

I haven't had any Shulton O.S. for a couple years so, going by memory, I was pretty sure Avon's Brisk Spice was pretty much dead on. Well, a few days ago I found a mint bottle of the Brisk and today found a mint bottle of O.S., '70s era, I think. Sampling them at the same time, one on each arm, I cannot tell them apart. Avon's Brisk Spice is an absolute dead-on clone of old Shulton. The Avon doesn't have quite the staying power of the Shulton but that's common of almost everything Avon did.

5. thevez2

So how is the Brisk Spice different from the Spicy? Because I always thought Spicy smelled just like Shulton OS.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It does - but Brisk Spice is even closer. Spicy is very, very close; it's just not quite as complex as Shulton. Brisk Spice is a dead on match. Apart from longevity, I can tell no difference. IOW, I can tell a slight difference (negligible) between Shulton and Spicy, in complexity...Shulton and Brisk Spice both have a little more going on and are identical. That's the best way my nose can describe it.

A clue might be an answer to this question, if anyone is old enough to remember: did Old Spice have resurgence in popularity in the late '70s - early '80s?

If so, that might explain Avon going through the trouble of tweaking Spicy (a perfectly passable O.S. clone from the '60s) into Brisk Spice, which is much more recent. That's only a guess, though.

Spyder likes this.
  7. thevez2

Cool, thanks for the info.

8. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

(Reviving this older thread)

I remember some of these bottles fro back when I was growing up in the late 70's and 80's. The kid who lived across the street had one of the car ones in his room. They seemed hokey then, and many still do now...

Looking around on auctions I found a few that I'd like to have for refilling with home made AS. I found a pointing dog (looks like a Setter, but that's ok) one that seemed reasonable enough. There's also a Shotgun shell, and a quail. I might have to build a little shelf in the bathroom... Oh and the plaid thermos one would fit right in there too... Dang it!

wmbjr and Polock like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And the hardhat...and the fishing reel...and Chief Pontiac...and the Buss fuse...and the Spirit of '76 plane...and the elephant...and the Spartan head...beware starting down this path (but never pass up any of their old men's talc, it's great stuff whatever scent it is).

The only bottles I've kept because of the bottles are the ship in the bottle (Captain's Pride, I think it's called), two of the brown "Leather" aerosol spray boots, and the Excalibur bottle because it's just too cool. My wife has several of the women's bath oils (seahorse, vase, etc) which are pretty in their own right.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    wmbjr and barbersurgeon like this.
  10. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I found an "old" bottle that looks like a tobacco pipe. The body is milk glass with a blue fresco fox hunt scene around it and a chromed plastic screw-on-top. The pipe stem is white plastic with chromed mouthpiece. On the bottom is stamped Avon 10. The fragrance I believe is probably wild country. Not crazy about it but it does keep the bugs away. Any thoughts on this?

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Original (1970s) WC is far superior to the dumbed-down current version, but I've never really cared for it and prefer Deep Woods and a few others. The bottle doesn't sound familiar...I know the big bulldog pipe but not what you've got.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Avon introduced in in the later part of the 1990's and discontinued it in the early 2000's. It was a copy of Polo Double Black, but with more of a leather note and none of the trademark RL powderiness.

Avon Leather, on the other hand, is Avon's version of Russian Leather. Probably a copy of Imperial del Oro.

13. Clint C

Clint C New Member

I have a recent bottle of Wild Country aftershave, as well as a vintage bottle of Clint Cologne.
    I checked out a tester in Sam's the other day and my ancient Clint smells exactly like Aramis.
    The Wild Country to my mind smells like a blend of Pinaud Clubman mixed with Stetson. Similar notes to Stetson but with the powdery hint from Clubman.

14. barbersurgeon

Any experience with the 'Cool Sage' AS?

15. barbersurgeon

Ok, I have both Cool Sage and Brisk Spice on hand now. They are very similar, if not in fact the same. Both are powdery to me. Cool Sage is neither cool or sage. More of a barber shop type scent.

Blend 7 on the other hand is not too bad. Citrus and spice notes, not powdery at all.

16. barbersurgeon

Ok maybe the Cool Sage is a little less powdery than the Brisk Spice. Just compared them again. Still prefer the Blend 7. Besides, it has the number Seven in the name...

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Avon Imperator is a pretty close copy of Roman Brio. Odd that the knockoff is much rarer than the original.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.