Vintage Old Spice Scents and Decanters

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Douglas Carey, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

2.jpg

Old Spice Lime Aftershave & Lime Cologne in Bottle Nautical Bank.

Lime scented products hit the market in 1966 and were sold until early 1990's. In 1977 the name was changed to Fresh Lime. This item is pre 1977.

3.jpg

Old Spice After Shave & Cologne in Bottle Nautical Bank, Gift Set #3638: 1969-1970

1.jpg

Old Spice Ship in a Bottle Bank 1969: (RARE) By submitting a $2.50 coupon you could receive a ship to place inside. Originally came with Old Spice aftershave and Cologne as in #1.

Old Spice Cluff links.jpg

Old Spice Cuff Links new in box: 1980's.

50th AnniversaryBoatswain whistle.jpg

Old Spice 50th Anniversary Collector's Whistle in original wooden box. This is a solid brass boatswain's issued as a 50th commemoration of the Shulton Company. Stamped on the sides is, “1936 Old Spice 1986.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    endcredit, BigMike, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is the only Old Spice I have. A lantern decanter with Shulton Old Spice..........

20190226_141604.jpg

3. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Fantastic Pieces!

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Did I send you the box Jim?

brit, jimjo1031 and clint64 like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

CobaltBlueandBoarBristle.jpg InsideView.jpg

Old Spice Cobalt Blue Shaving Mug and Old Spice Boar Bristle Shaving Brush 1985.

First Admiral.jpg

Admiral Decanter First Admiral Decanter called Flint Product ID #3227 1973-1975.

Binocular.jpg

Binocular Decanter Product ID #3229: 1973

Cannon.jpg

Cannon Decanter Product ID #4356 1973

GreenGlassShip.jpg

Green Glass Ship Decanter Product ID #3228 1973-1975

BlueGlassShip.jpg

Blue Glass Ship Decanter Product ID #3228 1973-1975

FullandBye.jpg

Scrimshaw Whale Tooth Decanter (Full and Bye) Product ID #3835 or #3838 There were six styles of Scrimshaw Decanters sold from 1974-1976. The bottles sported simulated scrimshaw depicting whaling or sailing imagery. Packaging was a clear plastic with the decanter on a silver plastic base. Each decanter held 6 ounces of Cologne. This item is full of Old Spice Cologne.

SoundFast.jpg

Scrimshaw Whale Tooth Decanter (Sound Fast....) Product ID #3835 or #3838 There were six styles of Scrimshaw Decanters sold from 1974-1976. The bottles sported simulated scrimshaw depicting whaling or sailing imagery. Packaging was a clear plastic with the decanter on a silver plastic base. Each decanter held 6 ounces of Cologne. This item is full of Old Spice Cologne.

BicentennialJohn PaulJones.jpg

Bicentennial Commemorative Coin Series Decanter (John Paul Jones) Product ID #3782 1975
    To help commemorate the U.S. Bicentennial, there where three “coin” decanters were sold in 1975. Three coins commemorate George Washington, John Paul Jones, and Thomas Jefferson.

Telescope 1975-1976.jpg

Telescope Black Style Decanter Product ID #4354 1975-1976 Aftershave. The foremast and mizzenmast flags stand out straight and there are 2 of them. The ship also has a little anchor hanging from the bow. IE 1975-1976. Styrofoam packaging was introduced in 1975.

Telescope1973-1976.jpg

Telescope Red Style Decanter Product ID #4354 1973-1976

Telescope1977-1983.jpg

Telescope Red Style Decanter Product ID #3840: 1977-1983

Captain's Tankard.jpg

Captain's Tankard Decanter Product ID #3629: 1978-1981

Admiral Decanter.jpg

Admiral Decanter Product ID #3634: 1981-1984

Ship's Flask.jpg

Ship's Flask Decanter Flying Cloud Product ID #3630 1985- 87: Commemorates the Clipper Flying Cloud.

Magic and Whitestar.jpg

Ship's Magic & Whitestar Commemorative Flask Decanter: 1989-1991. Bottle only. Full of aftershave. Product ID # 3350
    The canteen shaped bottle celebrates the Ship Magic, the winner of the first America's Cup race.

Telegraph.jpg

Ships Telegraph Decanter Product ID #3628: 1983-1986

Wheel Aftershave.jpg

Ships Wheel Decanter After Shave Product ID #03784: 1980-1984

Wheel Musk.jpg

Ship's Wheel Decanter Musk Product ID #03450: Early 1980's. The Musk fragrance was made from 1974 to about 1991, and this style of Ship's Wheel was used in the early 1980's until about 1985. So I would date this item in the early 1980's.

Admiral's Decanter older.jpg

Admiral's Flask Decanter Product ID #3344: date? Older packaging.

Admiral's Decanter1986.jpg

Admiral's Flask Decanter Product ID #3344: 1986

Lighthouse1973.jpg

Lighthouse Decanter w/box Product ID #3828: 1973

Lighthouse1984.jpg

Lighthouse Decanter Product ID #3828: 1984

Lighthouse1988.jpg

Lighthouse Decanter Product ID #3828: 1988

6. jimjo1031

I don't have a PM from you about it.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Many of us are huge fans of Old Spice, and why shouldn't we be? It is probably one of THE iconic scents out there. Many of our fathers and their fathers used this juice daily. I have a decent collection of Old Spice:
    IMG_9558.jpeg
    I don't own any of the specialty decanters. That, as you have already noticed, is being covered by @Douglas Carey
    I will stick with the scents and my take on them and this week, I am going to feature a different scent everyday.
    It seem fitting to begin with the original juice.
    IMG_9556.jpeg
    Here is some information on the founder of Shulton, William Shultz (excerpted from bassnotes.net)

In 1934, William Lightfoot Schultz formed Shulton and in 1937 creates a fragrance called Early American Old Spice for Women. After the success of this fragrance, Early American Old Spice for men was launched. During the war years the scent of Old Spice went wherever US soldiers were posted.
    In 1950, Schultz dies and his son, George, who joined the company in 1940, takes over the running of Shulton.
    In 1970, the company was acquired by American Cyanamid, and Shulton's range of products is increased. Joining Old Spice, Old Spice Fresh Lime (1966) and Old Spice Burley (1968) include the likes of Old Spice Musk for Men (which looked suspiciously like Jovan Musk launched the year earlier), Blue Stratos, Mandate, Rapport, Night Spice, Insigina (all for men) and Cie for women
    In 1990, Shulton is acquired by Procter & Gamble. A year later, they discontinue most of the Old Spice variations. In 1995 Blue Stratos sold to UK company Parfums Bleu and in 1996 P&G sell Insignia, Rapport and Mandate to Dana Cosmetics.

This is the scent profile for Old Spice:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 13.36.50.png
    Disclaimer: My nose is no expert. Period.

Splashing on Old Spice is like revisiting a
    friend...a good friend. There isn't a hint of aggression, indeed the scent is placid, soft, almost
    genteel, but not feminine as some colognes can be these days. My nose picks up on the Orange, more than the lemon. I don't get much cinnamon, but I do "sense" the carnation. After a dry-down, what really remains is the vanilla and cedarwood. The scent strength is
    moderate and the lasting power is good-very good. I splashed about a Tablespoon on at 9am and at 2pm, it's still has a decent presence.
    The advertising campaign when I was a youngster was always about the sailor and the ocean. Not sure why, but it is an accurate simile.
    I have used scents that remind me of a library; a gentlemen's pub; a garden; a brothel, but Old Spice makes me want to be outdoors.
    Many soap makers do their darndest to imitate the Shulton OS. Some are rather successful, some less so. There is a reason. Men and women adore this scent. An iconic scent that will outlast all of us on this Forum.

TommyCarioca, brit, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding post and report Joseph. :happy096: :eatdrink047:

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

I have a huge collection. Probably my best piece:
    OS1.jpg

TommyCarioca, brit, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great content Doug @Douglas Carey & Joseph @Primotenore! Keep it coming!

Before I found my first bottle of vintage Old Spice I had tried the P&G version. I know several shops have their knock-offs of the Original. Although I'm currently well stocked for vintage OS, do any of these other products even come close to Shulton? I'm still watching in the wild for Lime but might try the modern India made product. Shulton Leather AS & Cologne are really good, too.

11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks, Marine.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Wow. Beautiful.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    I can't answer that, but looking for info on Lime OS, there are those who have used both and made comments. Here's a link:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297079-Old-Spice-Fresh-Lime-VINTAGE-OLD-SHULTON-vs-INDIAN

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the link Joseph! From that thread, and several associated discussions it sounds like the modern India offering is a better modern Old Spice base with lime added. I may do an inventory of my Shulton and find the small bottle of lime EO. If the original was just that I can try stirring up a blend using the good juice with a citrus bump!

Douglas Carey and Primotenore like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

awesome..

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Gary. :happy088:

brit likes this.
  17. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Πω πω πω, πολι ορεια μανγα!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  18. jimjo1031

Ευχαριστώ

Yehuda D likes this.
  19. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Παρακαλώ φίλε!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:signs011::signs107::signs021::signs097::thanks::happy096:

Wow! Gentlemen, gentlemen thank you so much for sharing!

Bill

Primotenore and brit like this.