Vintage Old Spice Scents and Decanters

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Douglas Carey, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Day 2
    Old Spice Fresh Lime
    IMG_9574.jpeg

The Lime-scented products were introduced in 1966. The bottle you see pictured, was first introduced in 1977, along with the name change to "Fresh Lime". Before that, the bottles were milky. I have one of this too, same juice, different
    packaging.
    Here are some vintage advertisements:
    27632_1d7c34da72f4a160b3225b00ff040d8d.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 13.55.05.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 13.55.14.png
    And here is a complete list of the Lime products.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 13.55.32.png
    Some good stuff was available back then. Tough to find now without paying a real premium.
    Honestly, I mostly dislike lime-scented products. I have tried many and find them a) acrid, with a scent that reminds me of cleaning products (Castle & Forbes, Meißner-Tremonia) or b) too sweet (Mystic Water). But Old Spice is a horse of a different color.
    Maybe because one never loses sense that it is first and foremost OLD SPICE; true to its roots.
    The splash is refreshing, without too much "burn" and smells wonderful. There's a hint of Lime, but in truth, I don't care. I am glad it's there, but in the end, it is a masculine, spring-like, citrusy scent. One of my favorite Old Spice scents. :happy088:

2. brit

brit in a box

my first vintage old spice..just arrived, 90s vintage shulton.. 20190312_210013.jpg

TommyCarioca, jtspartan, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Article Team
    Very nice. It will not be your last.

RyX, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir, it is nice stuff.but according to lore this era of shulton /pg has more alcohol..i will get the 70s/80s juice next..

RyX, Douglas Carey and Primotenore like this.
  5. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

You all need to stop with this.
    I am going to end up spending more $ than I need. I just put a bid on a full light house.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    Day 3
    Old Spice Musk
    IMG_9577.jpeg

Old Spice introduced their line of Musk in 1974, in direct competition to the highly-popular Jovan. My brother-in-law used to drown himself in the Jovan and I thought it was nauseating. Even the bottles resembled the Jovan. It was
    discontinued in circa 1985.
    From Wikipedia: "The name originates from the Late Greek μόσχος 'moskhos', from Persian 'mushk', ultimately from Sanskrit मुष्क muṣka meaning "a testicle", from a diminutive of मूष् mūṣ ("mouse").The deer gland was thought to resemble a scrotum."
    Gross, right? But it has been used in the making of Perfumes for millennia.

lime musk 1979.jpg
    I had a similar bottle at
    first, used most of it and then acquired the newish bottle simply for continuity on my shelf.
    Here is a complete list of the Musk line:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 08.01.15.png
    More images:
    musk 1978 a.jpg

musk 1976.jpg
    So, how does it smell?
    Musk has a notoriously "Human"/Feral" scent that not everyone will enjoy. Luckily, the Old Spice, keeping it's base-blend of ingredients, avoids that over-powering aroma. However, the OS Musk is probably one of their strongest, in terms of staying power, scents. A teaspoon of the AS will last most of the day. It's wafting into my nose even as I type. It's not my favorite of my OS collection, but I have bought and sold far worse scents.

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding Joseph. :happy096: :eatdrink047:

Edison Carter, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Amazing detail Joseph. You have taken this to another level. :happy088:

RyX likes this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks Douglas. There's a reason OS products are still popular:
    iu.jpg

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Stop? We're just getting started! Check your local antique & thrift stores, garage and estate sales. Network & leave your phone number at places that keep a wish list. You can become the local "That Razor Guy". Several shops near me don't know my name, but when I walk in they pull stuff out from under the counter that's set aside for my next visit.

Glad you found a lighthouse! I hope it's full up. The upper section is clear, shows yellow where the juice is visible. :)
    Shulton Old Spice Lighthouse.gif

11. Killerflyingbugs

It's not 100% because the bidding ends in a few days but i want it. It is a full bottle according to the pics.
    You all are bunch of enablers;)

12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

03-22-14.jpg

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thanks, Douglas.

brit and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I like your avatar. :happy088:

15. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Primo - well done good post. Agreed on the scent description. A true classic. My pappy and pippa both splashed it. As do i. I personally like the Stirling and soap commander dupes the best. Want to try paa cold spice and gingers Garden's attempt. I have Mystic Waters and route 66 versions as well. Love the fragrance. Good all year. St Charles soap version smells good but the lather window is tough to crack

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

These are all shave soaps in Old Spice scent? I had no idea there were that many.

I've seen the real Shulton OS SS once in the wild. Twenty five bucks was just too much even if it did come with a mug. After you collect up 4 or 6 of those the thrill there is in getting them cheap.

Douglas Carey and Primotenore like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Day 4
    Old Spice Burley

IMG_1104.jpeg
    Old Spice Burley (aka Bounty across the pond) was introduced in 1967 and marketed until 1973. Shulton's advertising campaign wasn't all that different from it Original: Real Men, Women will be attracted; etc. They hired George Lazenby (one-time James Bond) to be the face of the campaign.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 06.01.43.png
    Just look at him! Cleft chin, (do I detect a five-o-clock shadow?) He's wearing the Old Spice Cable-Knit turtleneck, which is worth noting.
    More ads:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 06.01.19.png
    Va-va-voom, right?
    This guy below. Guns-a-blazing. Riding a wild stallion. Are they suggesting he's not a real man without Burley?
    Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 06.01.32.png
    Here are some products
    burley 1969 a.jpg
    burley 1973.jpg
    burley 1969 b.jpg
    Complete Line:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 05.56.34.png
    Pretty much the same as Shulton's other offerings.
    But how does it smell?
    I have read comments that compare it to a campfire. I don't get that at all. It is, however, slightly smokey, with a "burnished" feel.
    Undertones of the original are present. I think the scent lands on the dark side of the spectrum. It's rich and woody.
    Mature, if that is a descriptor.
    Burley is available on Ebay all the time, but there is a VERY GOOD DEAL for a Gift Set (AS/Cologne/Talc) 4oz Bottles NEW for about $25.
    That's a smokin' deal.
    Burley is one of my favorites. SWMBO approves too. :happy088:

18. Killerflyingbugs

Old spice got why men wanted to smell good. The old adds are great.

brit, RyX and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Day 5
    Old Spice Leather
    IMG_9558.jpeg

Old Spice Leather was available from 1985-1991---a very short time. Information on this variation of Old Spice is harder to find than the other scents. Not sure why.

I found this advertisement: (Coupon has expired, in case you were wondering)
    s-l1600.jpg
    Gift sets were available, but not to the extent as the other variations.
    leather.jpg
    roiwuoqi.jpg
    s-l1601.jpg
    I am not sure how one goes about bottling a "leather" scent, but the chemists at Shulton were fairly successful. The after shave starts off with original OS and settles down with some subtile leather. I find this iteration to be the closest to the original scent. I don't reach for it often, probably because I am hoarding, but I should. My advice is to use your vintage scents and enjoy them while you can. They're no good to you after your gone and if your male offspring is anything like mine, they won't be interested.
    Tomorrow..."the ugly step-child..."

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding Josseph.

brit, Primotenore and RyX like this.