Vintage paddle strop restoration.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Jamie Mahoney, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Well i would like to show you a vintage paddle strop i restored during the week, i picked it up on Ebay a few weeks ago, cost coppers, but if you had seen it you would have said throw it in the bin, it was a state, all the tension bars rusted, plus the plates both heavily rusted, the brass plus the thread bar and the leather literally fell apart, but I kept the leather to use as a template, well i stripped it back and took all the steel to the 150 grit buffer wheel then through the full range till they polished up nicely, pretty much same with the thread bar plus the wooden handle and brass collar, there was design element i change where the bottom section that is stitched meets the rectangular plate i see this as a bit of a stress point because of the join, so i made a hardwood half moon piece which i stuck to the metal plate before i cut and stitched the leather piece together, well it's a nice lttle travel strop size wise about 1 1/2 inches wide by 8 inches long.
    Jamie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hanzo likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now THAT'S cool!

Jamie Mahoney likes this.
  3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Looks great to me. Because of its small size it looks like it'd be a good candidate for being a pasted strop.

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

great Job no limits to your talents, great vision with that purchase;)

5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well done! :happy096: