Vintage Personna 74 DE Blades Stuck, and the Fix.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 5, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I just wanted to offer some advice. On another forum, a member was.upset because he paid top dollar for some Personna 74 blades. They are.Tungsten Steel and are lubricated, with oil. The oil hardened, or became very thick, and the blades stuck together. He broke some blades, trying to get them out. Well, no solid advise has been given on that site. So, I would like to let you exemplary Shave Den members how to over come this issue.
    I have had this happen with some Personna 74, Gillette Spoilers, and an unknown generic pack of blades.
    Just get your faucet water very hot, and run the water over the blades for a minute or so. When loosened, take them out, oil them, or blow out the water, and soak the pack with some light oil. If you take them outout, it is very easy to damage them, trying to put them back.
    This fix has always worked for me.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Speaking of those blades, can anyone comment if the tungsten gives a feel similar to platinum blades? Maybe it's a dumb question but platinum blades ALWAYS make me feel scratchy unless well-corked first.

DaltonGang and Frijolero like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Blades are very subjective. Me, I enjoy the Vintage Gillette Spoilers, and Vintage Wilkinson Sword Super Sword blades. They are late 60's to early 70's. These are the smoothest, and longest lasting blades I have tried.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    gorgo2, brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I have quite a few of the Tungsten 74 blades and they are indeed extremely sharp, smooth and long lasting. I save them for use with different razors and they are special to me. When I see them for sale for less than $1 per blade I try to buy them.

DaltonGang, Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i just got a 10 pack of schick stainless blades in a dispenser.blades are stuck together also. a fine member here suggested a blow dryer.said it works .thank you for the tip..

6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have the personna 74 in the 5 packs and some of them were stuck together. The hot water works and the same thing happened with the spoilers.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agreed 100%.

DaltonGang and Frijolero like this.