Vintage Probak DE Razor - A Great Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dreadpirate, Sep 29, 2012.

1. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

I just picked up one of these. Three piece open comb, nickel (I think). I don't know very much about it other than it was a subsidiary of Gillette. Not even sure when it was made other than it was made for "modern" DE blades; so no older than say 1930. Could have been made in the 40's even. Any info would be appreciated. A GREAT shave. Handles like a Gillette Old Type, and shaves as close, but is much smoother.

DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0093.JPG DSC_0095.JPG DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0112.JPG DSC_0114.JPG

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

The Gillette merger with Probak was announced on October 16, 1930. It was actually a significant event in Gillette's history. The big deal with Probak was not it's razors but it's razor blades. The purpose of the merger appeared to be three fold, 1st to eliminate competition, 2nd to avoid a patent infringement lawsuit and last but not the least was to gain Probak's superior manufacturing and sharpening of its blades. After the merger, all of Gillette's blade making tools and machinery were scrapped and new automated equipment based on Probak's equipment, was installed. A most significant result of the merger is that Henry J. Gaisman, the founder of Valet Auto-Strop and Probak, became Chairman of the Board of the Gillette Safety Razor Co.

Enrico, PBSax and awake2shave like this.
  3. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

4. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

It's been brought to my attention that the handle is that of a thin handle New; so I am not sure if it Gillette decided to marry up the two (Probak head and New handle) or if it's a Frankenrazor. The parts seem to be aged the same. Either way, it's a great little shaver.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, since Gillette owned the company, as I explained above, they often used the same parts. It's correct - not a frankenrazor.

6. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

I like it and love the way it grips the blade from a engineering aspect very cool