Vintage Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maliboy67, Feb 1, 2015.

1. maliboy67

maliboy67 Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone for your advice and information that has helped me to make informed choices to help make my change to DE shaving enjoyable. I ordered a second razor yesterday, a Merkur 39c and I'm looking forward to getting it. Now the problem, because of all the excellent information and enthusiastic people here you have started me down the road of no return! This is what I did today when my wife wanted to go antique hunting. I'm going to need a cabinet soon if this keeps up! I picked these up today and cleaned them up and thought I would show them off. I believe the TTO is a Super speed? Made in England and the 3 piece is US made. I tried to get a good view of the base plate stamps. Any info about the models and era of manufacture would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GregDR, Recklesstr, Sevenbark and 3 others like this.
  2. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new vintage Gillette's! I think the top one is called a Rocket Super Speed.

3. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

4. maliboy67

I put a blade in both and everything is tight. The 3 piece looks like it might be aggressive as there is a fair bit of blade exposed.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The TTO is actually a Rocket I believe, much more desirable and valuable than a run of the mill Super Speed.

The three piece is a fat handle Tech, a pretty common razor, that is generally considered to be one of the mildest razors around.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. maliboy67

I guess it was a good first find.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great additions. I really like the Rocket:happy088:

8. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Uh, yeah, you can say that!

9. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yeah, you picked up some good ones. I'm not a an of vintage, but the fat handled tech is probably one of the best razors I've used Good finds!

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good work. The Rocket is a more substantial razor than the US Super Speeds and is somewhat more aggressive (which for that razor can be a very good thing). Fat Handled Techs as the others have said are great for a mild shave.
    You did well for yourself. Enjoy!

11. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

So many nice razors.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Rockets don't pop up every day, or every year, in the wild. Good snag.

13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Your fat handle tech also has the triangular slots. That makes it a pre-war tech. That is great.
    Great find with that Rocket, too. I would love to have one of those.

15. maliboy67

Wow I need to go out looking more often now. We have a huge antique warehouse just outside our city. There are probably 50-60 vendors with display space there.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. maliboy67

As my wife and I sit with our smart phones looking up information on vintage Gillette's I now see why so many collect and use them. It is very enjoyable reading all the history then using something you found and researched.
    Yes I did say my wife too

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The EJ DE89 is a beautiful, fine razor. It was the first nice razor I bought back in June of 2012. I started buying and using vintage razors, and the last time I used the EJ was in October of 2013. Because of the lack of loving it deserved, I broke it out and I am using it for the first week of February. It was hard to believe I hadn't used it in that long of a time. It is a very good razor, but I have been loving the vintage razors. I had to make room for the EJ. I will return to vintage on the 8th. They are great, and I love shaving with some history.
    jagger2.jpg

clint64 likes this.
  18. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Congrats on finding 2 very good shaving razors!

19. maliboy67

I couldn't wait so I gave the rocket a try this morning. I used an Astra SP and Proraso green. I had probably the best shave ever! 3 passes to BBS, smooth but removes more per pass than my 23c. It is definitely a keeper

clint64 and Jayaruh like this.
  20. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

Lovely finds :happy096: you've started something collecting vintage razors the AD will grow from now on, I can say from experience it becomes addictive. I too have my partner looking for razors as well, she looks in antique shops for me when she's out :happy088:
    The Rocket looks similar to the one in the link below.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1949 Rocket.JPG