Vintage Week 5/5 - 5/11/14

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, May 4, 2014.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention, please.
    It is time to announce the subject for this week's Theme Week.

(envelope, please)

VINTAGE WEEK :happy108:

Vintage Week will run from Monday, May 5th, through Sunday, May 11th.

Time to put to use any and all things shave related that have been DISCONTINUED.
    I know for some it will be a sad reminder :sad024:that once a well-loved soap or cream has been used up, that's it, no more, unless one should get fortunate on e-bay or the antique mall.

I know vintage razors are pretty common, but do you have any vintage blades sittin' back up on the shelf?
    Gotta soap that rarely gets used for fear of never seeing it again once it's gone? Come on. Be real. It's not like you could sell it and retire, or even take it with you when you're gone. USE IT AND ENJOY IT! :)
    As for brushes - let's make it interesting and say that if you're going to use it, it must have the original knot!

Have a great week, all! :transport016:

macaronus, gorgo2, Bobcat and 3 others like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Here's my stuff for tomorrow. Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna - recently discontinued. The scent of this stuff is amazing but I've never found the performance all that great. I probably wouldn't buy it again anyway but as long as it's around I'm going to use it once in a while.
    [​IMG]
    I'm also going to be testing out a straight I just finished honing. A Genco Henry's X that I got from eBay a while back. Another older Geneva Cutlery Henry's X was my first straight and after a gssixgun honing I liked it so much, I found another. The seller said it was shave ready but it didn't shave that well and so I started over on it. After a few swipes, it looked like it was honed with a few layers of tape so it took a while to get a bevel set with one layer. It's popping arm hairs easy now so we'll see how it goes.
    [​IMG]

macaronus, vwp528, Bobcat and 2 others like this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My stuff for tomorrow; My 1968 Gillette Knack. I don't have anything that's discontinued unless it's my assortment of Van Der Hagen Soaps or Williams Shaving Mug Soap.

Attached Files:

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Barbasol Floating Head
    UK Wilkinson Sword
    Omega 42
    Klar Kabinett
    Alum
    Superior 70

Went the vintage route this morning and the blade was pretty rough. The Omega 42 is out of production. Not really vintage, but no longer produced with that handle. It is just like every other mid sized Omega boar. The Klar Kabinett performed well today, but that isn't much of a surprise. Marginal shave with some highlights.

Have a nice day all.

5. swarden43

Tom's of Maine shaving cream. Whipped up a very nice lather. Enjoyed the menthol along with a very nice scent.

@PanChango thought about going with a vintage blade this week, but I have yet to find one that gives me a comfortable shave. So I loaded up an Astra SP.

6. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday-A Truly Classic Vintage Shave

Soap: Coate’s Sandalwood-Vintage/Discontinued
    Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb-Vintage/Discontinued
    Blade: Gillette “Spoiler” Super Stainless Steel (1)-Vintage/Discontinued
    Brush: Chesterfield/Carrington w/Synthetic Gen 3.5-24mmx49mm-Vintage/Discontinued
    Aftershave: Clubman-Still ticking

Today was truly a “Vintage” shave. I received a box of Gillette Super Stainless Steel “Spoilers” with my Ball End Tech. I used one for the first time today. I slipped it into my New SC, lathered up with the discontinued Coate’s cream using my vintage Chesterfield brush that GDCarrington built for me. What a GREAT shave! I finished up old school with Clubman.

Bob

[​IMG]

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'll have to see what kind of mood I am in tomorrow morning, but chances are this is a one and done outing on the blade.

macaronus likes this.
  8. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

5/5/2014 Vintage Week/Menthol Monday

Prep: Hot shower with L'Oreal Men Expert Facial Wash, home made PSO
    Razor: G.E. Jones Shake Sharp, Filarmonica Double Temple straight razor
    Blade: Astra SP (2)
    Brush: Ever Ready 500N Synthetic
    Soap: Yeti Snot
    After: Home made ASB, Barbon after shave
    Cologne: Aqua H2O

A freezing cold 2 pass Darn Fine Shave.

Have a blessed day!

[​IMG]

9. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

No pics, but today I used Schick injector with Schick blade (can't remember, type G or E, less aggressive one).
    First few tries with same blade and it was very bad, lots of irritation and CCS at max with ATG. I left it for few months, and tried today with new blade, and shave was amazing. I'm guessing first blade was bad. Today it was very good DFS, easy and irritation free in 2 passes. Loved it. Now I understand why people say shaving with SE are more comfortable, it really is.

Too bad I have only one blade left and can't get them here.

Other equipment: green Proraso preshave, mix of Arko and Palmira soap, Omega boar brush and Pinaud VIBR AS sample

10. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Help! How do we post pics here?

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Vintage week? That's almost every shave for me.

•Gillette Slim (2)
    •1960s no-name plain red wrapper Super Stainless blade (someone once said ASR or Personna)
    •Ingram menthol shave cream
    •old but good Adoration boar brush (this one here but with a bright blood red handle)

BBS

•Avon Structured "Steel" a/s

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  13. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Gillette Old Type, Williams Barber's Bar, Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Let's see...

1. Palmolive lather cream from the 50's.

2. Irisch Moos stick.

3. Noxzema Lather Cream.

4. Colgate Cup soap.

5. Klar Kabinett.

6. Gillette Super Blue blades.

7. Vintage Williams.

I really don't know how to narrow this stuff down.

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Used Klar Kabinett and a mid 60's tech this morning. The rest of the shave was currently available.

I am not sure what happened with the UK Wilkie yesterday. They have been fantastic for me in the past, but it was one and done.

macaronus, vwp528 and Bobcat like this.
  16. swarden43

Some vintage Old Spice soap whipped up a great lather for me this morning.
    Took it, and my beard, off with a '55 Blue Tip loaded with an Astra SP.

17. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Tuesday-Vintage

Vintage Soap: Coate’s Lavender Cream
    Vintage Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
    Vintage Blade: Gillette “Spoiler” Super Stainless Steel (2)-1960's
    Vintage Brush: Chesterfield/Carrington w/Synthetic Gen 3.5-24mmx49mm
    Vintage Aftershave: Pino Silvestre (still available-introduced 1955)

[​IMG]

macaronus, vwp528 and PanChango like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

macaronus and vwp528 like this.
  19. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

2nd shave today with Schick Injector type G6 (got it which one it is). First pass tugged a little bit, probably because of Croatian "Brinell" shaving vream, but second one glided like on ice. Nice DFS in 2 passes, irritation free, no more vintage stuff today. Used some Tobacco AS (sample) afterward, nice man smell and great skincare. face was smooth and very soft, I'm not sure if that was because of cream or these blades, they are smooth as nothing i experienced so far.

macaronus and vwp528 like this.
  20. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Do these count?

Blue Blades.jpg

macaronus likes this.