Vintage Week 5/6-5/12

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, May 5, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ain't this time of year great? New life emerging, temps getting warmer but still not too hot. Another Theme Week to greet us.

This one is all about the old stuff, the vintage stuff, the antique stuff, and the discontinued stuff :sad024:
    Yup - Vintage week.

Many of us are already using vintage items, but how 'bout devoting the whole week to "that's how my Grandaddy used to shave" shave?

Now I know many of you may be a little reluctant to use the discontinued stuff (I'm talking soaps, creams, aftershave, etc.), 'cause once it's gone, it's gone. But why not? You can't take it with you. Some goes for you guys and/or gals that may be holding out not even trying that old soap or cream. Come on! Really? Unless you bought it as an investment, USE IT! Then we'll all cry with you because it's such a great product and we can't get it anymore.

And, as always, show us some pics. :)

ohpaos, Llyr, feeltheburn and 4 others like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've been going through a 5 pack of Gillette Platinums which seem to be discontinued. I was going to use a slant next but I'll go with a Slim instead and join in on Vintage week. Unfortunately I don't have any other discontinued stuff.
    [​IMG]

Llyr, macaronus and Med. Cheese like this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, I don't have any vintage soaps, creams or aftershaves, so I'll start the week with this
    P1000395.JPG
    An E2 injector, a made in USA Schick injector blade and a restored Ever-Ready 79 brush (with TGN synthetic knot)

ohpaos, Llyr, feeltheburn and 2 others like this.
  4. swarden43

I'm on vacation so I didn't bring much with me.

Today I had to test drive my wife's new '65 Pink Lady Gillette. What a FANTASTIC shave. I may have to get a blue one for myself.

5. feeltheburn

Great shave today with the Slim on 5. These Gillette Platinums are really nice smooth blades but they're not all that sharp. I'd say they're right at the minimum sharpness I could use comfortably - just on the verge of tugging. But they do seem to keep that level of sharpness for a while. I love the Arko too. I've been using it pretty much exclusively since I pressed a stick of it into a bowl about a month ago and there's probably at least a week's worth left. Finished up with some Clubman for a nice DFS.

Llyr and macaronus like this.
  6. Med. Cheese

Med. Cheese Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't have much vintage stuff, other than razors.

'70 Super Adjustable, Astra SP (first time trying Astra)
    Omega 48- I guess vintage, I have had it for nearly 20 years.
    Proraso Pre
    Proraso green
    Alum, Witch Hazel
    Nivea ASB
    eBarbershop Menthol (from sample)
    BLACK! Coffee
    Bob and Tom on the radio.

Llyr, Heloguy, feeltheburn and 2 others like this.
  7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Discontinued Monday:
    Dickinson & Gilroys boar brush
    Soap: Vintage Williams
    Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Jr.

SoS 2013-05-06.jpg

8. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Today was a great BBS shave from my b'day razor,the Gillette 40's style SS W-1

PanChango and macaronus like this.
  9. feeltheburn

I went to turn my Slim up to 6 today and when I opened the doors my Gillette Platinum blade was all rusted. I've never had a blade rust like that after 3 or 4 days of use much less after only 1. Oh well, I have a couple more of these blades left so I put one in my Merkur 39c today. I was hoping the slant would give these blades a little boost since they're not all that sharp. It really didn't though. They seemed to work best in the Weber Bulldog so I may go back to that tomorrow.

10. jabberwock

jabberwock Well-Known Member

Razor: Gillette Black Handle Super Speed
    Blade: NOS Gillette Thin (3rd shave)
    Brush: Turkish Horsehair #6
    Soap: Godrej Shaving Round

In honor of vintage week here at The Shave Den I decided to pull my awesome old school Gillette Thin blade out of the EJ DE86 and throw it into my Gillette black handle super speed. I do not own any vintage brushes, so the #6 will have to do, it has that old world feel to it and is as close to vintage as I can get. Likewise, the Godrej shaving round is standing in for a vintage soap. This Indian soap just feels right for the whole vintage theme and absolutely has a vintage sort of scent. I debated between this soap and my De Vergulde Hand, but seeing as it has been a while since I last used the Godrej, it won out.

The Godrej shaving round has a very sharp and medicinal scent to it and I doubt that anyone would list it as their favorite smell, but in spite of it not being a pleasant scent it is also not an awful one. I do not mind the smell, but I could see not wanting to use it if I were feeling sick. The soap comes in a little plastic jar and is one of the smaller soaps that I have used, weighing in at only 50g (approx. 1.7oz.), but is also extremely inexpensive. The Godrej lathers quickly and easily and is easy to apply, if you're a newbie and looking for an easy, inexpensive soap to try out, then I would highly recommend this one. The soap provides good cushion, but only OK glide, if I were to pair this up with a slick cream, like Karo Classic, for a superlather then I have no doubt that this soap would work exceptionally well. I plan on using this in combination with Every Man Jack Sensitive as a sort of preshave cream next time.

I did my usual three pass shave followed by a cold water rinse and was rewarded with a DFS (I was in a hurry to get my daughter clean and ready to go to the grandparents, so my neck did not come out perfectly). The Gillette blade and razor proved to be a delight to use together and I find myself wishing even more that the Gillette Thin carbon blade was still in production. My skin felt smooth and relatively soft, but definitely not softer than usual or particularly moist. The Godrej did its job well, but does little to nothing for my skin. The scent lingers a bit, but stays in the background and does not interfere too much. Overall, a good shave that has the potential to be a great shave. I will enjoy trying a few different things next time and hopefully be rewarded with a new inexpensive combination to add to my arsenal.

uploadfromtaptalk1367945797639.jpg

11. swarden43

'61 Fatboy @ 6 for a darn fine shave.

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Vintage tuesday!

All discontinued rubbish shave (man, I love this old stuff!):

Brush: De Vergulde Hand (at least '80's)
    Cream: Godrej Menthol Mist (why did they stop producing this??)
    Razor: Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
    Blade: Max Herder
    Allegro mod. L blade sharpener
    SoS 2013-05-07.jpg

Great shave!

Llyr and Erik Redd like this.
  13. feeltheburn

My apparently discontinued Gillette Platinums really shine in a Weber Bulldog. They were so-so in the other razors I tried but I got a great BBS on the face and near BBS on my neck today with no irritation. These blades are probably the best I've tried in the Weber so far.

macaronus and Llyr like this.
  14. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Wednesday
    Ever-Sharp Hydro-Magic/Pella Coated injector (4) great BBS shave

macaronus and PanChango like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Broke out some vintage gear for my shave this morning.

Barbasol Floating head with a Wilkinson Light Brigade and some 1960's vintage Williams.

Not a bad shave.

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Wednesday, another all vintage shave:

Travel King boar brush, vintage Williams, Valet Autostrop & Valet blade. Good shave.
    SoS 2013-05-08.jpg

Llyr likes this.
  17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Thursday
    Yet another all discontinued shave
    Dickinson & Gilroys boar travel brush, Proraso Red cream, Ugly Duckling, Max Herder blade, Allegro mod. L sharpener.

Me like vintage!

SoS 2013-05-09.jpg

Llyr, feeltheburn and Erik Redd like this.
  18. mjemec

mjemec Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Prep: shower, RazoRock glycerine pre-shave soap
    • Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable [7, 5, 5]
    • Blade: Gillette Platinum
    • Brush: Frank Shaving Faux Agate
    • Scuttle: "Estremoz" V2 Green
    • Soap: Speick shave stick
    • Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street
    [​IMG]
    • Prep: shower, VITOS pre/post
    • Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable [7, 5]
    • Blade: Gillette Platinum
    • Brush: Frank Shaving Faux Agate
    • Soap: Wilkinson Sword shave stick
    • Aftershave: Old Spice Champion

19. swarden43

Great stuff, folks!

I'm actually on vacation this week visiting my parents in Maine, so it goes without saying I didn't bring much of a variety of shave gear.

I did bring along my '61 Fatboy. Loaded it up with an Astra SP and had a super shave.

I'll have my own Vintage Week when I get home. I have some Tom's of Maine cream, Old Spice soap, Colgate mug soap, some Gillette THIN blades, and "a few" ;) other vintage razors to enjoy.

20. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

This is my kind of week. I'll be using my 'New' Bar Handle this morning. Yesterday I used my British tech with Gillette 'New' Handle.
    [​IMG]

Llyr, macaronus and feeltheburn like this.