Visit to Pasteur's Pharmacy

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by burningdarkness, Apr 16, 2009.

1. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I was recently in New York and made some time to visit the two branches of Pasteur's Pharmacy. Both branches were packed full of great shave goods, both branches were tiny with extremely narrow aisles. Both branches had impressive prices on most products. Trumper's refill pucks for about $15.50, pots of TOBS for $14, etc., etc. Sure, some items were a couple bucks more than they can be found online, but for the most part (with the exception of a few brands, such as Tabac) it would be cheaper to buy there than to order online.

The branch in the Upper East Side had a greater selection of the two (though both had remarkably substantial inventory) - the complete line of Harris shave sticks, soaps, creams, aftershaves, colognes; the complete line of Taylor's shave sticks, soaps, creams, aftershaves, colognes; the complete Trumper's line; the complete Proraso line; the complete Speick line minus the aftershave splash; all of the Arko creams and the shave stick; the list goes on. If you're curious as to what was in there, just ask.

I almost didn't go into the second branch (the one close to the Empire State building). I changed my mind one day and managed quite a find. They had tallow-based Trumper's shave soap refills in almost every scent.

Unfortunately, I do not have any photographs documenting my visit. I will say, however, that it was a sight definitely worth seeing if you're ever in New York. As many of you know, I live in Boston where I have access to Colonial Drug, Levitt and Pierce, and Stoddard's, which all have a good selection of shave goods on their shelves. If I were to combine all three of these places, it wouldn't equal even one quarter of the selection at one of the Pasteur branches.

While in the branch in the Upper East Side, I happened to run into a member from one of the forums and we chatted for a while.

Of course, I didn't leave without some souvenirs. I told myself I would behave and only get a couple of things. I came back to Boston with a bowl of Tallow-based Trumper's coconut oil, a puck of tallow-based Trumper's almond shave soap, an Arko stick, a pack of Bic Metals, a bottle of AV Ice Balm, two tubes of Musgo Real shave cream (one for me, one for another purpose), and three samples of Floris colognes.

I highly recommend checking one of these branches out if you're ever in the New York area. I definitely enjoyed these two neighborhood pharmacies greatly.

Robyflexx likes this.
  2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Sounds like a place to allow AD to run rampant! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'd have to have 1 of everything!! :happy093

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

"One for another purpose"? That sounds ominous!

I'm disappointed in the lack of pics Dom, but a nice report none the less. One of these days I must get there and over to London to check out the fare. Strange no Speick AS.

4. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

It was really hard not to let myself go in there. The monkey was on my back. Curse you, Shep!

I honestly didn't think of snapping any photos when I was in there. It was strange seeing the entire Speick line sans splash. My guess is that they ran out. The branch near the Empire State Building did have the entire Speick line INCLUDING the aftershave splash. Very strange.

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Hope you had fun in the city. Pasteur's is a great place and I am fortunate to have it a few blocks away from me :p

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

The next time you visit the store on Lex, cross the street and head a couple blocks north to Cambridge Chemists. Another excellent source for "exotic" shaving goodies :D

Jordan

7. BrushAndBlade

BrushAndBlade New Member

Wow. Sounds great.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I wish Washington, DC had one of those stores.

9. kevtex

kevtex Member

10. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

11. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

Thanks for the link. Great photos by Tex. There's a little bit more in there that the photos don't show. It's certainly a store that must be experienced. Who wants to take a group trip to NYC?

12. kevtex

kevtex Member

Count me in.....oh wait, let me go ask the lady of the house.....Never mind you guys go without me.:sad024

13. Fairway Ray

Fairway Ray New Member

Wow! I just happened onto this thread. With no traffic, I'm 20 minutes from NYC! I'm going to have to educate myself about the different products before I go. Right now I know next to nada about the different soaps and cremes. Does anyone know if they are open on Sunday's?

14. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Now I really wish that DC had one of those shops.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Pasteurs' in NYC

I just visited this remarkable place -- during a business trip to the City. You can find similar or the same items cheaper online, but nowhere else have I seen so many great shaving supplies for the connoisseur wet shaver. The 34th Street store is larger and the Lexingotn Avenue store has a larger supply of brushes. Cambridge Chemist is also in NYC but the selection is smaller & the prices are higher.

While at Pasteur's I did find a small alum block from Turkey that cost $3.99 and a very appealing -- coconut smelling cream from Genoa, Italy that did not have a specific label but looked great. A wide range of GFT products & Castle Forbes and the 1st retail shop i have found that sells 7 O'clock Yellows & Blacks.

When visiting NYC plan a trip -- over 50 years in the same location owned by the same family. Pretty amazing! Highly recommended.

16. Razor&Pens

Razor&Pens New Member

Philadelphia too. For a good size city you'd think there would be good pharmacies and at least one pen store besides the AoS and Paradise Pen in the KoP Mall.

17. Pureslab

Pureslab New Member

I am now happy to announce that iKon razors can be viewed and purchased at Pastures in NYC ....

[​IMG]

Pasteur Pharmacy Inc
    53 E 34th St
    New York, NY 10016

or

Pasteur Pharmacy
    806 Lexington Ave # 1
    New York, NY 10065

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report from those of us in the "hinterlands" with no options other than e-store window shopping. I imagine that it would be the typical flashbulb in the eyes for me to walk into a super-selection store. :happy096

19. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Hmmm...anyone used this IKon open comb yet? Looks intriguing. Only a couple posts in the reviews section, and I don't think they're regarding the open comb.

Anyone?

20. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

why aren't there more stores like this?:mad: