Vulfix re-knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Marverel, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Hello TSD

Some months ago I bought a Vulfix Grosvenor 404 mixed badger and boar brush because of some very favorable reviews - and it was inexpensive ;)

As it turned out, I did not like that knot much (and still don't), but the handle is just fantastic. So what's more obvious than to re-knot it? Yesterday a Frank Shaving extra dense finest badger knot (22mm) arrived, this morning I re-knotted the Grosvenor.

vorher.jpg

I read somewhere that a steam bath is key in removing the old knot, so I put the brush in a small bowl, put that bowl in a pot with some water, closed the lid and let it boil for about 15 minutes. After that, with a little force and the help of a pipe wrench, the knot came off. As my measurements showed, the Hole diameter is a little bigger than 22 mm, whereas the new knot is a bit smaller than advertised (about 21 mm). But still a pretty good fit.

Since there was quite a bit of resin left in the handle, the Dremel entered the stage. I started with a small milling adapter and decided to deepen the hole a bit to get a slightly shorter loft. Just had to be very careful not to widen the hole any more. After some finetuning with a sanding tool the handle looked like this:

leer.jpg

Time for a dry fit ...

probe.jpg

Looks pretty good, I think. So I glued the knot with some 2-component epoxy resin and right now it sits on a shelf to dry.

Really looking forward to using this brush ;)

2. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Looks great.

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice work.
    How do you like that Frank Shaving knot so far?

4. Marverel

Thank you :)

Well - I haven't actually used it yet, but first impressions were very good. It is pretty dense, seems to have good backbone and soft tips. I can tell you more in a few days I guess ;)

5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Fantastic @Marverel. Looks beautiful!
    [​IMG]

Marverel likes this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Nice re-knot.

Marverel and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Marverel

This brush is a lather monster :D

This is the "leftover" after face lathering and covering my cheeks and neck with a thick layer of lather:

[​IMG]

A little prickly though - but so was my WD 2-band when it was brand new.

TitanTTB, Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

^^^
    ^^^^
    I also re-knotted with a FS knot. I find the prickliness diminishes with use. I did get some "funkiness" after a week of use which I dealt with by soaking the brush overnight in a warm water bath with oxygenated cleanser.
    Given some break-in time I'm sure you will enjoy your "new" brush.

Robyflexx and Marverel like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Fabulous!

10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Excellent re-knot and hope you like this knot better than the original!

11. Marverel

Yup - that's what happened with my Whipped Dog - after about a week the prickliness was pretty much gone. So I have high hopes for this brush ;)

Thank you - and yes, I do :happy088:

Red Rider, wmbjr and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhh Yeaaaaaah:rah:

Robyflexx likes this.