W&B Vintage Restore

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Dec 19, 2011.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    OMG I remembered a before pic [​IMG]

This one came down from Canada for a restore, pretty straight forward except I got sidetracked for 2 days after the initial 220 grit sanding on the scales and left them soaking in Neatsfoot oil for that time. WOW if you have the time to soak them longer I would definitely recommend it.. It wasn't that the outcome was so much better it was just way easier to obtain after that [​IMG]

Full buffing on the blade, but kept the stamps, all new Tri-metal stacked washers and pins...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bevel set = Chosera 1k

Sharpening = Naniwa SS (Henckles Version) 1-3-8

Finish = Select Grade Coticule Switched to a Charnley Forest

Asd, Hanzo, battle.munky and 3 others like this.
  2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice work once again, Glen. I don't know if it was the tarnish on the razor in the before pictures or what, but that thing looks mean. I don't mean in a bad way either. The lines are really cool - I like it.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That looks great Glen.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Wonderful restoration!

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Another DFJob Glen, youda man!

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Amazing what a little time and elbow grease can accomplish. It doesn't even look like the same razor, beautiful.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet it is!!

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I want one:D, great work love the W&B esp when it has a notch, classic shape and a great restoration.

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh shiny! :love029:

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Oh my god. My jaw hit my keyboard that is absolutely a beautiful job.

11. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

What a super job for a super looking razor, great work.

Regards Jamie.

12. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    A quick update on this razor...

I tried something new to me when I honed it up, I normally go to a Coticule on Sheffield steel, but the owner of this razor tends to like a bit "sharper" edge and I have been wanting to try this 'Honing Solution' from Smith's

http://www.knivesplus.com/smiths-honing-oil-sm-hon1.html

It is an oil substitute, that I like the idea of because it is water soluble and cleans up with soap and water, I have tried my Charnley Forest hone with water and an skim of lather and the results were good, but I haven't wanted to commit to the mess and smell and care needed around other stones of using a true Oil on it...
    Well happily I tried the Smith's and it worked better than advertised, I could even still dip the razor in water to keep it slick and light while honing..
    The edge came out better than the water and lather option and I had zero mess after, I just honed my second Sheffield using the same system last night and the shave this morning was Excellent !!! (I am actually not a huge fan of Sheffield steel) enough to make me want to re-hone my only two personal Sheffielders this way...
    If you have an oil stone that is sitting around you might want to at least try it out :)

Asd and Jamie Mahoney like this.