Wade & Butcher “Battle Axe”

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Nov 23, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I do love the look of the big W&B choppers! But I don’t like the prices...

I found this one about a year ago: 17/16 Wade & Butchers For Barber’s Only. I like the uniqueness of the “For Barbers Only” instead of the more familiar to me “For Barbers Use.” Pretty sure it has been reground at some point in the last 100 years but I think it originally dates in the 1840-1880 timeframe.
    D02607B4-0197-4965-BF19-40D4BF03DBD7.jpeg
    So for about a 1/10 of the price I thought I could do something with this and shave with some cool history. I wanted to reshape the heel and then grind the stabilizers down to feather the tang into the blade.
    Here is what I envisioned:
    11C5ED34-8DE4-4B27-A96B-627B2E3A64AE.jpeg

Then it arrived and I went to work... to be continued.

MR41, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Interesting, subscribed.

TestDepth, Billyfergie and Zykris like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This might be interesting.

Billyfergie, TestDepth and Zykris like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I had a Dubl Duck with a similar crack. @gssixgun fixed for me in the same way that you are proposing.

You Can Save This Shaver!

Keithmax, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  5. TestDepth

When it arrived the scales were worn, but after soaking for a couple weeks in Neatsfoot oil, I liked what I had. Some bug bites, original washers (I think), and some holes that actually show off the blade in a cool way when closed. So I cleaned around the washers and just used RennWax on the scales.

I turned to the blade and tried to figure out how to make the shape. I took a dremel and a cutting wheel and made the first cuts, going from tang, perpendicular into the stabilizers. Keeping ice water handy, I continued to dunk upon feeling any heat in my fingers. The edge and inner part of the cut had electrical tape. It helps me hold the blade and also provides an element of safety. After that cut I went N/S to remove the heel in a very blocked fashion.

I liked the radius of the smaller diameter dremel sanding drum and used that to create the final curved shape of the new heel. Changing to the larger diameter wheel, I attacked the face of the stabilizer and tried to get a flowing line from the tang near the pivot pin all the way to the blade face. I ended up with this:
    FB1E16D5-C496-4515-AC85-8DF91369BEF1.jpeg
    Almost there...

Drygulch, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  6. TestDepth

Here is a look at the shape of the tang to blade transition. Not perfect, but good enough for a user grade Chopper.
    D678642D-89E7-49AC-AFCF-8CEC4D17DA27.jpeg
    And
    BAD81481-1E2A-4EF2-820B-A26ECDD7F70A.jpeg

The sanding went with a heavy dose of 220, then up through this progression 400/600/1000/1500/2000.
    I then hit it with Flitz on a dremel wheel, then by hand.

And here is the final shape.
    9C3DC3A4-EAC1-4B0A-9330-D7927C34E271.jpeg

It took a great edge and is pretty maneuverable for its size. Thank you for taking the time to look and I hope you enjoy the blade.
    Tom.

Attached Files:

Dansco, MR41, jimjo1031 and 10 others like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That turned out nice! Well done.

Dansco and TestDepth like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Great Save!

TestDepth likes this.
  10. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

That looks freakin sweet!!! Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TestDepth likes this.
  11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

That looks sweet! Wish I was as daring you. I have an old chopper I need to fix up, timetable was Christmas but I don't think I'll have the coin for it so it will have to wait.

TestDepth likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096: Great save

TestDepth likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks really cool! This is just a question from someone that know very little about SR, but in one of the last pictures it looked like a fine crack near the area you modified. Is it just my eyes playing tricks or really there. Secondly if it's really there, is it something to be concerned about?

As I said, I know very about SR and not trying to nit pick. Still a great razor either way. :)

TestDepth likes this.
  14. TestDepth

Great question. I assume this is the area:
    0ED50A73-2696-485B-BABC-00A01EE93910.jpeg
    That was actually a reflection on some leftover sanding marks.

I was initially worried a little about removing the stabilizers - was it going to feel less “solid?” It sings now on the strop and does seem to have a little flex, but not much. I also Am not worried much about a crack in a location other than the edge. I always either hone out (if small) or modify to something like this if the edge has a defect.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  15. TestDepth

Thank you. I hope this may give some ideas for those blades that are good bargains!!!

Keithmax and Stu929 like this.
  16. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Certainly opens up some options. I just don't trust myself yet. I hope to learn honing soon. I have a few stones I'm working on lapping and then need to find something I'm not worried about destroying.

Either way as much as I'd like too I doubt I'll operate on my chopper. Too much history to screw it up.
    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  17. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I dig it!!!!

TestDepth likes this.
  18. TestDepth

Thank you.

Marine68 likes this.
  19. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member