Wallet Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Robert Amato, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

You're a true redneck engineer.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I do resemble that. I am partial redneck. And I hear you can tell an engineer, but can't tell him much.

wristwatchb, Dzia Dzia and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have one of those! I made it in 2008, and it hasn't even started to wear out yet. It was one of the first leather things I made when I got back into leatherworking. I designed it so it would only hold 8 cards. It has stretched since then and holds about 20 now. At some point I need to make another one.
    image.jpeg

4. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

My old one was almost as thick.
    Used to keep it in my back pocket.

Started to develop nerve pain going all the way down my leg.

Stopped carrying my wallet in my back pocket and after a few days the pain stopped completely.
    I put it down to the wallet pressing on nerves.

Don't have that problem with the Saddleback. It's too small to cause a problem on the odd occasion it's my back pocket. It's also small enough to carry in a front pocket as well.

5. Colonel_K

Colonel_K Well-Known Member

Not trying to be offensive, but do you really need to carry 20 cards around with you?

(Nice work BTW)

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seems if you want to get any kind of discount or reward from where you shop, you need one of their cards - ShopRite, Wegmans, Whole Foods, etc.

Colonel_K likes this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

When the doctors start installing stuff in your heart, you have to carry a card for each item, another for your meds, and another for general medical info, then a bunch of insurance stuff. I have had five stents placed in my heart. Then owning a business and having separate accounts for home can lead to having a lot of cards. Only one credit card anymore, and just the essentials. I go through and thin it down every few months, but this is about what I need to carry. Slim wallets that only hold a few cards aren't an option for me.

8. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I had a duct tape wallet until it wore out then I got a steel card clip. That ended up breaking cards so I got a cheap leather wallet from walmart. I'm not liking it so I'm most of the way through tooling my own. I really need to pull it out and finish it. 2 steps left on the tooling then dyeing stitching and finishing. maybe 2 or 3 hours left unless stitching sends me a curveball.

Drygulch likes this.
  9. som

som Well-Known Member

I carried my wallet in my back left pocket for years (decades). Occasionally I would wear pants or shorts with no left pocket, so I would put it in my back *right* pocket. Whenever I did that, it felt like I was sitting on a brick. It finally dawned on me that if it feels like a brick on one side, and feels like nothing on the other, well, that can't be good! I've been carrying it in my front pocket for the past five years or so. it's just a plain leather wallet that I picked up at Dillards or some place.

I'm curious if anyone has tried this, a wallet made for front-pocket use:

https://www.rogue-industries.com/collections/rogue-wallet

Could be a gimmick, could be THE GREATEST THING EVER. I haven't thrown down the $50 or so to find out....

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

My new, favorite wallet. This thing has 15 cards in it and a billfold. That's an Opinel #6 in the photo for comparison. image.jpeg image.jpeg

wristwatchb, gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I need a new wallet, but it must have space for
    - banknotes in two currencies (EUR, and GBP or Kroner)
    - coins (single currency is good enough)
    - enough room for 12 cards (one "hidden" slot with a zipper, for my public transport chip card)

And it must be durable and stylish.

It must replace this one (which is 10 years old by now, and showing its age)

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Nobody a suggestion?

13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am a leatherworker, and if you brought me that wallet, and told me you had gotten ten years out of it, I would suggest finding the original maker. Its hard to duplicate someone else's work.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Who created this beauty?

15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your heart health.

Drygulch likes this.
  16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

wristwatchb and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Thanks! The place where I bought it does not exist anymore since a few year. I think I'll carry on using this wallet until it falls apart (which can easily take another ten years ;) ) or I find a good successor.

Drygulch likes this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't like the bulk of a single filled wallet so I carry two. A binder clip for my paper money(best money clip I ever owned) and a slim wallet for the other stuff. One in each front pocket.:)

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Still I welcome recommendations for a quality replacement.