Want to Upgrade MY Watch.....

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by poppi, Mar 8, 2020.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I've been wearing a $12 Walmart watch for a long time and have decided that I would like to upgrade to a higher quality/better looking time piece. But, truthfully, haven't a clue on what's a good quality watch and what's not. Not looking for a Rolex but something nicer.

Like I said, really haven't a clue about watches so any/all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and enjoy those shaves

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

You looking for Bell’s & Whistles or just time piece. With or with out day/Date.
    A little more info can help.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

3. cliffb599

This is my newest acquisition.
    A simple dive watch.
    Citizen Eco Drive pro diver
    [​IMG].
    Normally over $100.00 keep an eye out for sales. I caught mine on sale on Amazon for $ 86.00.
    Another good watch is a Casio they have great watches from Cheap to a little more Expensive ones.

4. cliffb599

I also have this one coming from EBay.
    Cost me $ 75.00 it’s a 47mm grand diver Automatic. It’s a big watch. [​IMG]

5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

It depends too much on your personality. Do you want rugged outdoors, high tech futuristic, refined high class, etc?
    Also, many of the high end watches are mechanical jeweled movements. They are works or art but, frankly, they keep lousey time compared to a cheap quartz.
    One thing I can recommend is that you get a watch size that fits your wrist.
    Also, give equal thought to the band. Personally, I like the James Bond look: a classy watch paired with a rugged NATO band.
    For under a hundred bucks, it's hard to beat a Timex Expedition or a Seiko 5. They each come in a variety of styles.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My latest mechanical watch gains about 2 seconds a day. If I need exact time (I rarely do), I can check my phone. I'm a guy that favors watches that are both well-made and eye appealing, preferably models with some kind of story attached to them. Everyone is gonna be wired differently here.

For sport watches, I like Seiko, Citizen, Orient, and Casio. For a classy looking dress watch, check out the Orient Bambino line. You can also scour the antique stores and find some pretty cool vintage watches at great prices. A new strap on an old watch will give it totally different look.

Mark from Long Island Watch has some informative reviews of many different watches on YouTube if you have the time to check them out. You have tons of choices. Like razors, you can have more than one. ;) Have fun looking and keep us posted!

barbersurgeon, cliffb599 and Keithmax like this.
  8. cliffb599

[​IMG]
    Came in Today.

BigMike and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband & I each have a Citizen Eco-drive, which uses light to keep it powered. As long as it gets some exposure (i.e. don’t store it in a drawer) each day, it keeps running.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

That's quite a watch for the money. Looks sharp too! Congrats!

High marks on the movement too: https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-nh35a/

A 47 mm case would be too big for my wrist. I have small wrists, so my ideal case size is between 38 and 42 mm. If you happen to whack a door frame with that watch, immediately check the door frame for structural damage. :)

cliffb599 likes this.
  11. wristwatchb

Pure class! :happy088:

cliffb599 likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

I just picked up a Seiko SARB033. This model was recently discontinued, but you can still find great deals on eBay. In my humble opinion, this is a great cross-over watch...looks dressy on a bracelet and casual/sporty on a strap.

I've yet to wear the Seiko, as I also picked up a Hamilton that I haven't been able to pry off my wrist.

Hamilton Khaki Field Watch.jpg

13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I know it sounds weird, but have you looked at Timex. Some of the best watches for price to quality. Punches well above their weight.

I'm partial to Marathon. Good enough for the DoD, good enough for me.

wristwatchb likes this.