Wapienica

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Issy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

Ho-LEEE CRAP!

That is one expensive Wapi...

3. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

man, that makes me feel like a genuine philanthropist

4. JimR

JimR Active Member

And I'm grateful for your generosity...

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Not only that..............it's "tide"!

6. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Jw, do they come stock with a mirror finish on the blade & scales?

If so, hot damn!!!

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Apparently not:

wapinos.JPG

Looks like any other NOS Wapi I've played with - I'd love to be the seller of that one though :D

8. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Giddy UP!! Time to start collecting DAs fellas.

All my Wapis are mirror finish, although the scales not as much as the blade :shrug:

James.

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    hehehehe

Well I think it was PT Barnum who was credited with saying "There is a sucker born every minute" Let's just hope it wasn't someone we know

I am kicking myself at this point for actually giving away the last two I had after I putting custom scales on them....

10. razorjoe

razorjoe New Member

With more and more shavers turning back to wet shaving and single blade shaving we are going to see the price of basic things for shaving go up in price. I bought mine more than a year ago and it only cost me $45.00 dollars, start saving up.:happy102​

11. mrBlonde

mrBlonde New Member

Yeah that's right, keep spending those dollars on almost decent razors, leave the cheaper bokers and henckels to poor people like me.

12. Utopian

Utopian New Member

Well, I'm glad I still have a box full of them. Apparently they were a much better investment than most of my retirement accounts over the last couple of years!

13. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

This is very discouraging. I'm brand new to this. I was in a wedding party recently, where before the wedding the groomsmen received proper professional straight shaves, have been hooked since. I've been looking for a wapi to buy for over a month now. Apparently no online stores have them in stock, and finding one on ebay is a rarity.

I wanted to keep my first razor under the $75 mark. Later on I wanted to get a more eloquent razor. Based on the majority of the posts here, Wapi seemed to be the best bet, especially because they have been reasonably priced at the $45-$65 range. So much so that I can't find any. I was hoping someone here could recommend another razor comparable to the Wapi. Even greater help would be if you or someone you knew were willing to sell me one.

If no wapi's come my way soon I was wondering if these razors are of the same quality as the Wapi. There is a gentleman that is selling a "ERN Crown & Sword 6/8 Magnetic" for $65 and a "Gold Dollar" (Also known as a Double Arrow) for $45. Both vintage but shave ready.

-Chris

14. Blade

Blade Member

Hmm - the latter part of that description sounds oddly familiar - yes! that's it! It's MINE!

Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!;)

15. Leighton

Leighton New Member

Double Arrows are new razors made in China. I personally would not buy one, but they are freaking cheap at $15 shipped.

ERN is a vintage brand and is very good. If you must have new, DA is the cheapest one. Otherwise, there are plenty of $50 vintage razors to be found on classifieds or ebay.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Check out the classifieds at Straight Razor Place. I've considered trying a straight and I've seen several Wapi's there. While I've decided I don't have the time and budget right now, I might eventually.

17. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

18. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

Thank you for the link above to that Wapi. What concerns me is that the razor above is not Hollow ground it's a Wedge. This is my first razor so i don't really know the difference in quality, but based on what I've been reading Hollow ground is much better, right? I may be mistaken but I thought most or all Wapi's were hollow ground. Also the pictures above were a little fuzzy so I couldn't tell how straight the edge or spine was and also therefore can't tell if it has been over honed. Then again if the razor was in front of me I probably couldn't tell either. Any trained eyes out there think it's a good purchase for me?

-Chris

19. JimR

JimR Active Member

It's very likely NOT overhoned, as it was honed from NOS conditions. As for the difference between wedge and hollow, well, people who like hollows say they are the best. People who like wedges say they are the best.

I think they're both right. Or both wrong. Depends. ;)

It's really a matter of taste, though most beginners (like me) find that wedges are easier to shave with at first, as they are apparently less demanding of good technique. I started with a hollow, and thought it was terrible dull, then learned how to shave on a Wapi, and came back to find that the hollow had gotten mysteriously sharper.

It's like something out of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--True sharpness comes from within!

You would probably be fine with that razor, though the above mentioned Gold Dollar--is that from Rup Razors? If it is, it'll be in good shape, with a good edge, and Ken will treat you right...definitely worth a look.

20. CatMan

CatMan Member

Wapis are 1/4 hollow ground, which is kind of between wedge and hollow. I've got several of them in both sizes. A very good choice for a beginner, IMHO.