Wapis!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mastermute, May 23, 2008.

1. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I just wanted to say that how many other straights I try, I keep coming back to my Wapis with pleasure!

I own a $$$ Mastro Livi that is a GREAT razor, but still the Wapis claim 1st place in my rotation. I have yet to find a better Straight Razor!

Many state the stainless scales are heavy and this is a drawback, I feel it's one of the better features of the Wapi, it provides a counterbalance and once you learn to work with it, instead of aginst it, it actually adds to the experience!

All hail to the Wapi!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Hear Hear! Love my Wapis, even though I've given two of them away...

Shave really well, hone really easily, and I agree on the heft of the scales - once you get used to them it's no problem at all. And of course the price can't be beaten. Shame they are becoming rarer though - the latest batch up for sale seems to have some quality issues with warping and such, but I think those are still in the minority.

Viva Wapi!! :bounce

James.

3. Navaja

Navaja Member

Another Wapi lover here, I have 2 in the rotation right now, and planning to add 2 more soon :happy108

4. Are you guys buying them new or looking for older Wapis ? What price is acceptable ?

5. CatMan

CatMan Member

Yes, the price can be beaten:
    http://tinyurl.com/4hv8ee

Don't get me wrong, I really like my 5 Wapis, but I also got 4 of those Double Arrows, - when the price was at $6 each -, and all four of them outperform my Wapis slightly. Sadly, some others who also bought Double Arrows were not so lucky. QC issue I believe. Still the Wapis are my benchmark. A razor has to perform at least as good as a Wapi to get into my rotation. So far only my Double Arrows and my Wackers made it.

6. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Wow, an oxymoron! All Wapis are "older" since they stopped making them some 25-30 years ago, during the peak of the Soviet era...

Right now I have 7 Wapis with scales (2 in active duty) and 10 unscaled, so I'm not currently shopping for more :p

I think I paid around USD $18 each last time, which I find extremely good value for money. I would definitely be prepared to pay more than double that amount for one of these great razors, probably even more... Though, I don't expect to have to buy any more, but since I plan to use some of the ones I have as birthday gifts etc, you never know :rolleyes:

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

+1 on the Wapi razors. Great little shavers at great little prices. I bought one to use and one as a back up, just in case.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I once had to but I sold them due to my lacking honing skills back then. I recently honed one for Johan and liked the test-shave so I got me two more which arrived yesterday. These to won't be given away :D

9. Navaja

Navaja Member

You can find Wapis here for around $23 shipped

Wapienica

10. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I believe he's referring to the fact that there are two types of Wapis. The initial Wapis that Wojtec sold are considered better than the recent Wapis he has been selling. Of course, to each his own but most people who have both prefer the "older" Wapis.

11. I just ordered one !

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ya'll cleaned him out! Nothing left after lunch! :eek: News travels fast!

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Tell me about it.

WTB Wapi.

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I bought them all. I'll need them for when the Commies attack.

15. Only two available when I ordered so I was being generous leaving the last one for someone else.:signs015

16. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I ordered 5 when there were 9 left :D

17. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I no longer have the Wapis that I purchased but I do have a Double Arrow. I haven't honed it yet but I'm hoping it's good. The Wapis have better weight and balance but I like the larger blade of the Double Arrow.

18. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Thank you Lee, I appreciate it! :D

19. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Last time I ordered I contacted Wojtec "personally" (wojtec76) over at SRP. Could be a way to go if you can't find his wapis on ebay...

But right now he has put up 12 more on the 'bay >HERE< (his ebay shop can be found >HERE<)
    Tip! If you buy from him, remember his >strops< and >diamond paste< are fair priced too (I bought 2 strops, one "au naturelle" and one for .5 diamond paste) for a great starter kit!

20. Mr. Tadashi

Mr. Tadashi Member

Thanks for the heads up. I just placed an order on the razor strop and diamond paste you recommended.