Wapis!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by mastermute, May 23, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Well, I just bought my first straight razor (at least shave worthy, and not a shavette) This may be trouble. I also ordered a tube of the diamond paste. I guess I should start researching hones, strops, and how to use everything... :rolleyes:

2. I contacted Wojciech Jerzycki and added a second Wapi and diamond paste to my order !:ashamed001

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Way to go!:happy108:signs107

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You guys are great! ;)

5. Awww :ashamed001

6. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

There are three more Wapis for sale. According to the photos, these have the SFK stamp. I don't know if that makes them better or anything, I just like the stamp. I was going to buy all five but I didn't have enough money in my PP account so I bought two. I know - it's a real sad story. :sad023

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think those are from the same set posted the other day, I looked at the one I bought and it is from the same item number. I also ordered one of the double arrows, but someone told me those won't keep an edge. Anyone try one of those yet? Thanks!

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I think the Double Arrows don't have the same quality control as the Wapis. The responses have been great to horrible. I have one but I have yet to try it.

9. fritz

fritz New Member

Well, I got the first order of 1 Wapi and 2 Double Arrows yesterday, and was so impressed with the "new" Wapi I just went back and ordered another. Now, there's only 2 left of those 11!

The new ones come in a nice plastic coffin-sized box, have the hallmark, and generally seem better made than the one I got several months ago. Also, this one was very close to shave-ready, the first one I had to go to a 1k stone and set the bevel. In other words, the new ones look like real NOS, ready for retail. The older ones looked like they came from factory inventory just before final prep.

The Double Arrow I got with the first Wapi will take a good edge, but only lasts about 2-3 shaves before I have to go the the Spyderco UF. He admits that he may have gotten a bad batch or some counterfeit Double Arrows a while back. I compared the two I just got, and they seem identical to each other, but there are tiny details that are different in the first one. Mostly around the heel and toe. The new DAs were not quite as sharp as the Wapi, I had to use a few passes on the Spyderco Fine first. It'll take a while to see how well the edge lasts.

10. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

There's another seller of Double Arrows here. Perhaps his batch is better.

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

I just picked up two of these DAs and ordered two of the Wapis earlier. I ordered some creams for open_razor a month and a half or two ago. He was excellent to deal with.

12. Leon

Leon Active Member

I have one too and it's in my rotation. It's a stamped SFK blade.
    Replaced the stock scales (too heavy!) for some red packawood scales. :rolleyes:

13. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I have 10 unscaled.. I'm working on a scale design and as soon as I'm satisfied with the design(s) I'll offer most of them for sale...

14. You are a generous man !

15. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

My wife begs to differ...:rolleyes:

16. Two Wapis arrived today - what level of honing is typically required ?

17. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Which ones did you get? Stamped ones in plastic boxes or plain ones wrapped in newspaper?

The "old" ones (stamped, in the boxes) were better IMHO. I purchased 5 of the newer ones and three out of those are not finished yet as they'll need MAYOR honing due to an uneven back. If the back is allright, you'll have them finished in half an hour tops.

19. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

You'll notice it when you're honing them - when you're getting very uneven hone-wear and when the blades "wobble" on the hone due to not lying flat. Had to trash two from my last order of 5, just gave up honing them an hour ago.

20. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

There is only one level...shave ready

If you refer to how much honing will be required to get your blades to be shave ready, that can only be determined by testing or by having the blade honed by someone that knows how to properly hone.

Raf