Was It Worth $2.50?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dirtfarmer, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I stopped in a new to me thrift shop and found this brush. It says "sterilized" on the top and "nylon" on the bottom. The name brand is too beat up to tell what it is but it starts with a P and something and ends with SS and is made in USA. What is it and was it worth $2.50?

Attached Files:

ghostlife, Hembree, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Certainly worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, Hembree and Dirtfarmer like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

download (4).jpeg peerless in red..

4. Dirtfarmer

brit that's it. WOW. Thanks for the fast reply. I knew this was the place for answers. I bought it because it's such a odd looking little feller.

Hembree and brit like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..i haven't seen many of those here..cool brush..and good score..:)..let us know if you are going to restore it..Keith @Enrico would know more about it..

Enrico and Hembree like this.
  6. Dirtfarmer

Nope, no, nada, not gonna mess with it. Well, I may clean it up a little and see if I can't maybe work some of the scratches up a little. I don't know anything about restoring it but I'll check into it a little. I'll have to hide it from my grandson because he thinks everything green in John Deere and everything John Deere belongs to him. I can't get hooked on brushes too, can I?

Hembree, RyX and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..:D

RyX, Hembree and Dirtfarmer like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very early example of Synthetic bristles. Nylon as in "short pieces of fishing line". It won't perform as well as a modern synth, but it's a piece of Shaving History!
    You might find information about the fibers used in THIS THREAD.

9. Dirtfarmer

Thank you RyX. That was some good information. The bristles are soft and flexible as old fishing line (I guess) and fairly clean looking. The handle is kinda scratched up on the bottom and a couple of stains. Is there someplace to send it to be restored or should I just put it on the shelf like it is?

brit and Hembree like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

your choice.you could get some one to reknot it ..pm Keith @Enrico ..he has redone all my vintage ones so far..

Enrico and RyX like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I say reknot it. It deserves a second chance, at life.

brit and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Check with Keith. Have him send you links to his restoration photos. Only happy customers that I'm aware of.

In it's present condition you can scrub it clean and use it. Because it's plastic sanding off the oxidized outer layer may restore the original colors at a loss of lettering. That is something you might try yourself. Starting with the mildest grit sandpaper you feel comfortable using, working to finer papers, finishing with very fine polishing compounds you can make it shine. Small investment in materials with leftovers for your next project. Since you didn't pay much for the brush no great loss if you fux it up. Not an heirloom piece? Consider stepping into restoration of vintage shave gear!

Here's some relaxing music to listen to while you rub one out. :cool:

brit, Enrico and Dirtfarmer like this.