Watches

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by saltypete, May 5, 2009.

1. saltypete

saltypete New Member

Aside from collecting razors and shaving gear, I have a real penchant for watches. As a student, I don't own any super premium (Omega, Rolex) watches but I do have some pretty nice ones. I'd be interested to know if there are any other watch collectors in the community and if so, what you have. To make it interesting why not also add the watch you would buy if money was no object.
    I'll start off. I own a Seiko Sportura chronograph, a Citizen 'Blue Angels' Ecodrive Promaster, a Tag Formula 1 chronograph and my latest purchase bought just today, a Longines Hydro Conquest chronograph.
    If money was no object, I would have a Rolex Daytona, they look amazing.
    Here is a pic of my latest purchase.
    [​IMG]

Pete

2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Not a collector per se, but I do own a Bulova that I really like and a couple of pocket watches that I look at but never seem to wear. My everyday watch is a McGregor that does the job fine and I don't worry about it getting beaten up at work.

3. Larry T

Larry T Member

Hi pete,

I have a modest collection of watches. My great uncle worked for Hamilton in the 30's-60's era, he got me started on watches when I was ten, a loooong time ago. This is one of my favorites, of course my favorites seem to change often.

[​IMG]

It's a Hamilton Khaki Officer, mechanically wound, and reliable and accurate as they come. In case anyone is wondering, the pen is a Signum Nova fountain pen.

Larry

4. Austin

Austin Member

Nice watches boys! I also collect watches. Both vintage and modern. Here's a Vintage Longines I am wearing today.

[​IMG]

5. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I like those a lot, and that vintage Longines is very nice indeed!

I do not collect watches, but I have an Omega from the early-mid sixties that belonged to my grandfather. I had it sent to Omega for service and restoration about 3 years ago now. I tend to wear it a lot.

(Sorry about the picture, I am not a good photographer... :o)

DSCN0394.jpg

James.

6. Austin

Austin Member

Great looking Seamaster! I have a few that I really enjoy.

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Not my exact watch, but this is the one I wear daily..

[​IMG]

8. jfl

jfl New Member

The one that got away...

Back in the early '70s I paid less than $75 for a new manual wind chronograph. It stopped running about 15 years later and repairs would cost $125. At some point, I tossed it. Recently, while looking for a new watch, I tried an internet search for this old watch. There was one in the UK selling for ~$950!!! The watch was a Breitling Datora.

OUCH! (My pic is a PDF and I can't find a way to attach it.)

Jim

9. saltypete

saltypete New Member

You blokes have some nice watches! Both the vintage and modern Omega's are beautiful timepieces. My dad has a vintage Omega that was given to his father as retirement gift in the late 1960's. It doesn't run anymore, but I should talk to him about getting it repaired, like Jim said, those classic watches are highly sought after, and thus valuable, nowdays.

Pete

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I am rather interested in this subject becuase my grandpop left me his antique windeup pocket watch that has not worked a day since he left it to me. Since then I have always been wanting to buy a pocket watch that at least looks and acts like a traditional pocket watch. Back in those days men wore vests to work where the pocket watch would hang onto the pocket, I don't wear a vest as none of them men in the office wear one either. But I am still interested in a pocket watch that at least walks and sqwaks like a pocket watch of ages gone by. I have never found anyone to be able to get me such a pocket watch or if I did find one how to adapt it to the current mode of mens office wear. Sort of adrift here.

11. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

You've never been able to find anywhere you could get a pocket watch?

http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/

12. Austin

Austin Member

In tribute to Jimbo, I am wearing one of my Vintage Omega Geneve Auto.

[​IMG]

13. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

My favorite................

....vintage 1958

Attached Files:

14. lferg

lferg New Member

Sweet Seamaster Rick!!!

15. lferg

lferg New Member

I am somewhat of a watch whore my self. Spent waaaay too much over the years but they are all worth it IMO.

Here is my Montblanc collection. Just sold the Time Walker. :(
    [​IMG]

PAM 111h
    [​IMG]

My daily beater..... Omega Planet Ocean 45mm.. Ohhhhh yyyyea
    [​IMG]

16. saltypete

saltypete New Member

There is sure a lot of love for Omega watches here. Who can blame you , they are stunning watches.

Pete

17. Austin

Austin Member

Gents, all great looking watches!

Vintage Lord Elgin today.

[​IMG]

18. Austin

Austin Member

Rolex Submariner today.

[​IMG]

19. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I have an Omega Constellation that belonged to my father.
    My Mom gave it to me after my father passed away.

But my everyday wear watch is a Timex Ironman I have had for 6 years.

20. lferg

lferg New Member

Drilled lugs, no date, non COSC certified,... classic. Looks like you don't wear it much though for being such an older model.