We are winning?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by jbund, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    huh?
    It's a vendor.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I don't get it either...

4. jbund

jbund Well-Known Member

I thought that I had replied to this other other day to say that this is a vendor that didn't exist even three weeks ago. An it is one associated with an almost mainstream publication.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :confused: If I'm reading the website correctly, they are an obscure 5 or 6 year old British self-styled "gentleman's" Magazine, with 66 issues under their belt, who now sell a few shaving supplies along with pipes and other "gentleman's things," in addition to their magazine.

It's like saying cookbooks are making it into the fringe of mainstream readers because Good Housekeeping magazine comes out with a few every year. That being said, We have seen an upsurge in reviews and promotions of traditional shaving products in real mainstream magazines (like Esquire, GQ, Vanity Fair, etc.)

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

You appear to be correct in that traditional wetshaving is rapidly expanding. New retailers specializing in traditional wetshaving products are opening all the time. Many existing retailers have added wetshaving gear to their product lineup in recently. Only a few outlets sold these products five years ago. Now it seems like everybody and his brother are jumping into the marketplace. There are many more artisans joining the scene, as well.

Wetshavers are benefiting from an increased supply and variety of products. Other than that, I do not think we are winning because it is not a matter of winning or losing, us vs. them. It is about getting a shave that makes each individual the most happy. For different people, that will be different things. Some shavers prefer a safety razor, others a multi-blade cartridge, straight or electric razor. The only differentiator is the razor used. Cartridge, straight and safety razor users can all benefit from a good brush, quality soap or cream, nice aftershave, etc.

For some reason, product enthusiasts want to recruit the rest of the world to their hobby. The rest of the world does not universally want to be recruited, however. As long as we get the information out in a non-pushy way, we have accomplished something. The probable result is that least a few other individuals discover something very enjoyable. Perhaps that is a victory of sorts, although we will likely never know its complete extent. If you are enjoying your daily shaves, then you have also achieved a personal victory.