Weber Aggressiveness?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I'm going to buy a Classic handle Weber 3-piece safety razor and want some input on the aggressiveness of the razor. Any information would be appreciated.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My understanding only from what I've read about the Webers is they are finely-crafted, well-made razors that are comparable to the EJ89s in terms of aggressiveness.
    What that translates to, in the real world, is a fairly mild, comfortable shaver.
    Maybe someone here who has shaved with both could elaborate.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

It would be nice to know what you'll be comparing it to.

If it helps, I have both the EJ de89 and the weber w/bulldog handle. Relating aggressiveness to my Mergress(Progress) I would put the de89 at about 1.5 and the Weber at about a 2 (out of 5). However, I find the Weber to be much more efficient even though it is only slightly more aggressive then than the Jagger.

Tdmsu likes this.
  4. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Right now I'm using a Gillette LC New.

5. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

It's been far too long ago that I used a LC so I can't compare them correctly. The Weber (Polished and DLC version) to me is a mild very effective razor, very forgiving even if your technique is a bit lacking, IMO a razor that even a lot of beginners would like.

6. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I don't have a New but a friend loves the New SC. He says that if you like that razor you will love the Weber. Apparently the aggressiveness is similar.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have have and used the EJ89 until relatively recently, I also have the Weber polished head and DLC head..You can't go wrong with any of these three razors I.M.O. I find the shave quality between the EJ and both Weber's(DLC & polished head) compareable, with the DLC coated head having a slight edge in smoothness over the other two..While of course "YMMV" in smoothness I'd rank the razors:
    1) DLC(no longer available)
    2)EJ89
    3)Weber polished head
    Both Weber handles(Classic & BullDog) weigh the same only the length and dia are different..
    I now use the Weber DLC daily and I feel it's a "FANTASTIC" razor!! I did find the EJ VERY slightly smoother than the Weber, but the Weber is a made of "MUCH" better material I.M.O. and definately worth the extra money...:)

8. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I, as always, find myself mystified during discussions in which various razors are compared to the Edwin Jagger. I find it so mild, comparable to a Tech, as to be almost useless on a tough old beard. It's primary contribution in my den was to contribute its beautiful handle to a Merkur razor head...

The Weber is just a fantastic and efficient shaver! I compare its aggressiveness to a Fatboy on 4-5. It remains one of the best values out there!

Eddie - glad to see you still enjoy that DLC! Sometimes I regret selling it, but then remind myself that I couldn't really justify having 2 Webers - they are built to last far longer than I will!

Dave Paskowski likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Let me clarify my comments from this morning as I wrote them in a rushed(got to get the kid to school and then make it to cardiac rehab state of mind :happy093:)..Both razors are excellent!!...While I did like the smooth shave my EJ gave me I did shim it with as many as 4 shims(for closeness) depending on the blade I was using..The DLC coated Weber I think is the smoothest razor I've ever used and I've never had to use more than two shims with it...The Weber is an efficient,aggressive(without being overly so I.M.O.) razor, that surely is one of the best buys out there....The DLC gives me as close a shave as my Gillette "NEW" OC, but has a "MUCH" smoother feel to my face..The polished head Weber is only slightly less smooth than the DLC "YMMV"..

So I guess what I want to say is let price be your guide...If you can afford it definately get a polished head stainless steel Weber, if $70 is more than you care to spend on a razor,then spend about half that and get the EJ89..Just be aware that the EJ head while nicely made is "pot metal"..

As for you "jeraldgordon", while I hate to think that you may have regrets, "I'M ABSOLUTELLY,POSITIVELY.FANTASTICALLY HAPPY THAT YOU SOLD ME YOUR EXTRA WEBER DLC"..It is loved,used and appreciated everyday....I have "NO" regrets on buying it other than it almost eliminated my RAD, (well almost) :happy068: Luckily my RADis still here, just diminished, now I'm on a quest for a brother for the DLC....I know the razor will out live me,but I fear the coating wearing off or losing it, so I want a backup just in case, plus it's just fun hunting for one:happy097:
    THANKS AGAIN!!! :happy088"

jeraldgordon and Dave Paskowski like this.
  10. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hmmm, now I'm sorry I sold it to you... I consider it a real disservice to get between a man and his acquisition of new razors! Persevere sir! With a concerted effort you should be able to reignite the fires of RAD! Don't let it lay there in a diminished state!

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you are happily using a LC New, I don't think you would really be too happy with a Weber. IMO the Weber is too mild and didn't give a lasting shave. I sold the head and kept the handle which I use regularly with a LC New head.

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if maybe there's a little variation in the Webers. I have a polished head and compared to my Muhle R89, the Weber feels noticeably more aggressive. It's not wicked aggressive or anything but I do notice that I feel the blade much more and have to be very careful with the pressure. I can throw a Feather in the Muhle and get a nice close, comfortable, and pretty effortless shave. If I put a Feather in the Weber, I have to be much more careful to avoid irritation. It works great with a really smooth blade like a Personna Lab for me though.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

How about a shimmed Weber?

14. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I have the Weber Classic Polished Head. It is a great razor, however, I have always been slightly disappointed in the fit and finish of the head compared to other stainless razors, but the handle is great. By far the handle has the best grip out there. I would put the aggressiveness of the head close to or the same as the Merkur standard head. Hard to beat a Weber for value though.